Fitting a stainless cartridge lifter to a Winchester trapper

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Fitting a stainless cartridge lifter to a Winchester trapper

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

The Winchester 94 AE under lever is known for breaking cartridge lifters. New ones are all most impossible to source. So I was really excited to hear David at the shooting shed was going to make a replacement in stainless steel that promises to be all most unbreakable.
so I winged of a pm and insisted that they sell me one and they did. I received it about a week ago.
First impressions on examination of the lifter were favorable it looked just like the original. I had a measure and all the dimensions tallied with the original. Because of my engineering back ground I'm quite anal about things been square etc. So i did notice that the cut out on the right side is slightly radius-ed as opposed to square but that may be to make it function slicker. A layman probably would not notice and it certainly wont affect the functioning of the lifter. The other thing I noticed the ramp at the rear of the lifter were the head of the cartridge rests as a ramp on it that is a bit longer and probably thicker than the original This is the point were the original lifters normally snap. So I'm guessing David beefed this up intentionally.
All in all I am well impressed with the lifter.
I set aside to day Sunday to fit it. So after a cracking beef dinner and several cups of tea I set to.
I don't know if any one has ever taken a Winchester trapper 94 AE to bits. It is not a massively complicated task but you do need the right tools and its a bit fiddly. It took me about 30 minutes to dismantle it and fit the new lifter after comparing it with the original.
Once I had it back together I racked the action to make sure it functioned and it did.I then racked the rifle as hard as I could and kept on raking it with out any issues at all.
I'm well impressed. I am going to make up some dummy rounds and function check it again. But to be honest I don't foresee any problems.
If I was you and you have a Winchester I advise you to invest in one before they all get snapped up.

Now Im going to try this new picture up load thingy.
TRAPPER 001.jpg
TRAPPER 002.jpg
TRAPPER 003.jpg
Alpha1

Re: Fitting a stainless cartridge lifter to a Winchester tra

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

More pics
TRAPPER 004.jpg
TRAPPER 005.jpg
TRAPPER 006.jpg
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

The lifters side by side they are all most identical.
TRAPPER 007.jpg
Every thing back together ready to rock and roll.
TRAPPER 008.jpg
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I made up some dummy rounds and cycled them through the action as fast as I could no issues what so ever. I am well impressed.
Thanks to the shooting shed for taking the time to make them and for their excellent customer service. :good:

Now I am shooting the under lever on a regular basis I'm going to turn my attention to improving the trigger. I took the opportunity to have a good look at the trigger unit while it was stripped down I think a new spring will make a difference and maybe a few small tweeks. But we will see.

Hmm whats next teanews
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Took it to the range to night functions flawlessly. goodjob thankssign
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

There are several subtle changes such as blending and radius's and a slight increase in dimensions where the design would stand it so they are robust little things now. One small point, they are machined from EN26T as opposed to stainless so they are significantly tougher than stainless steel and light years ahead of the original factory fitment.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I shot lots of rounds through it to night and really gave it a good work out with out any issues.
But I found another problem whilst stripping it down to fit the lifter. I had an inkling that some thing was amiss before I stripped it.
The take down confirmed my suspicions. Nothing to do with the lifter but I guess some thing I will have to live with as the part I suspected was duff is probably no longer available either. But I will have a search and see what comes up.
teanews hmm whats next
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Thanks for posting :good:
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well I am just considering making some extractors for the 1894AE next if that is any help :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Sounds interesting.