.308 rifle suggestions please

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

.308 rifle suggestions please

#1 Post by sclg »

I shot loads of .303/7.62 target rifle from the late 60s till the early 80s but haven't done any since then although all my other shooting has kept going. (.22, c/f gallery rifle, BP, etc) I now have the time to get back to doing some 'proper' full-bore.
I have a .308 slot and am wondering what to get. Due to increasing age and decrepitude, this will be scope/bipod and not sling/jacket!

Range will be mostly 200-600 although there may be an odd foray to longer range. I don't kid myself that I'm going to be able to do enough to ever be seriously competitive so I'm not looking at the top end of the market.

Initial research both on line and at my local helpful dealer suggested such things as:
Sako A7 Roughtec range
Tikka T3x Varmint
Sabatti Tactical

... but what about the secondhand market? I'm slightly wary as much of the stuff around tends to be previous generation and you don't usually know what sort of life it's had. On the other hand, you can often pick up the whole kit - rifle, scope, bipod, etc - which can save some cost.

Unless you all say "That's impossible", my budget idea is not more than £2k including scope and bipod.

I'd welcome any thoughts.
Thanks
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: .308 rifle suggestions please

#2 Post by kennyc »

stock answer on this forum and others, is to look at the Savage range, most of the big manufacturers have perfectly good rifles within your budget, scope is where you may wish to place the larger part of your budget, as the rifles can hit the target at those ranges as long as you can see it.
second hand is not the minefield with .308 that it can be with some cartridges with barrel lifes being very long, as to 2nd generation? some folk barely have a rifle delivered before they are selling it on! always worth a good look through the classifieds
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Kungfugerbil »

A solid 308 for £2K all in is most definitely possible.

I’ve just put together a nearly new Howa with scope and Bi-Pod for £650 that puts 155grain GGG through the same hole at 100m. I’ll be shooting it at longer distances shortly but from what I hear from other Howa shooters it should be well up to the task. It’s not a gold medal rifle, but then I’m not a gold medal shooter :)

https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=32367
69chris
Home club or Range: severnside

#4 Post by 69chris »

i'll 2nd the Howa for value for money !

i bought my .308 varmint barrel a few years ago for (iirc) 700 odd quid as a ready to go, mod/scope/ package and its been flawless,

keep saying im going to replace it with something newer but not sure what i'd gain for my useage
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

Stock answer would actually be buy a Tikka :)

Any of the T3x are very good, avoid the light barrel for range use, avoid the CTR as mags are over £100 (same one as the new Tac A1), the heavy barrel varmint is excellent, there's also quite few used T3's about, you can always customise it later by replacing the stock with something more adjustable.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
sclg
Site Supporter 2019

#6 Post by sclg »

phaedra1106 wrote:Stock answer would actually be buy a Tikka :)

Any of the T3x are very good, avoid the light barrel for range use, avoid the CTR as mags are over £100 (same one as the new Tac A1), the heavy barrel varmint is excellent, there's also quite few used T3's about, you can always customise it later by replacing the stock with something more adjustable.
How does the older T3 compare with the T3x?
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

howa package with grs stock and scope and moderator and bipod mine cost £1350 a year ago but ive upgraded the scope and bipod for 1000yards .
Attachments
howa nordic wolf.jpg
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

sclg
Site Supporter 2019

#8 Post by sclg »

Dellboy wrote:howa package with grs stock and scope and moderator and bipod mine cost £1350 a year ago but ive upgraded the scope and bipod for 1000yards .
Was that 1350 new??
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#9 Post by Dellboy »

yes i opted for heavy barrel in black not stainless though
I actually bought one in 223 at the same time
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#10 Post by North Star »

Due to increasing age and decrepitude, this will be scope/bipod and not sling/jacket!....

F Class is for you!
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.