Rifle Bolt Spring Tension

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

JohnE
Home club or Range: Sussex

Rifle Bolt Spring Tension

#1 Post by JohnE »

Many rifles bolts remain in the cocked position upon removal, i.e under spring tension, I was wondering how many of us leave our rifle bolts under tension when not in use [perhaps over the winter], I did notice a chap on u tube who had a plastic device for de-cocking his bolt. John E.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Rifle Bolt Spring Tension

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do try and remember to de-cock rifle bolts when not in use.

Some such as Barnard and Savage are very easy to drop pressure off the spring and the Accuracy International bolts can be de-cocked and re-cocked by hand. Remington with a machine vice and soft jaws or a boot lace. I do also own a couple of tools for the likes of RPA bolts however they are seldom used.

Of course there is always the question, does it really make a difference? Well in my mind it does and I will continue to do so where possible.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Rifle Bolt Spring Tension

#3 Post by dromia »

No issue just keep the trigger down when putting the bolt back into battery.

Does it make a difference? The internet is full of such theories, if such curiosity bothers you. I've always kept my bolts in the rifle de-cocked, just the way I do it and it has served me well for nigh on 50 years.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/