Dismantling a Swing mk 4 bolt

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Dismantling a Swing mk 4 bolt

#1 Post by shugie »

I think it's time to clean the innards of my Swing bolt out, no sign of problems, just about that sort of time. I've decocked the spring, but the either the end gap was put on by a gorilla, or there is still a lot of residual spring pressure.

Any relevant advice as to how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.
Careful now/that sort of thing
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Dismantling a Swing mk 4 bolt

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

The swing anything like the RPA Design?

http://blog.stegough.com/field-strippin ... lite-bolt/

(I'm sure Swing split and became 2 companies: paramount and RPA)

Maybe this will help?
shugie
Past Supporter

#3 Post by shugie »

It's very similar in some respects, but the cap end looks different, done up very solidly or perhaps seized on mine.
StanDeasy

#4 Post by StanDeasy »

I use a piece of 1/8" mild steel flat bar which will fit snugly in the slot of the bolt end cap. Clamp the bar horizontally in a vise, place the bolt end cap down, holding the decocked bolt vertically and firmly, engage the bar into the end cap. Then using a soft-face mallet tap the bolt anti-clockwise to unscrew the end cap. - job done.
shugie
Past Supporter

#5 Post by shugie »

Well if that's the amount of force needed, I'm not surprised I've got nowhere so far! Thanks, will try that approach.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by Pete »

What StandEasy said to get the cap off, but I use a bit of tubing over the bolt handle rather than a mallet, plus, if you're going for a full strip down, make sure you have an Allen key of exactly the right size to fit the tiny grubby that locks the front spring retaining ring on to the firing pin............if you don't get a really snug fit, you WILL round the hole out, and that way tears and madness lay..........the ring itself appears to be case-hardened.

And while it's in bits, why not fit a set of Belleville washers in place of the ridiculously heavy firing pin spring? (Assuming some enlightened soul hasn't already done so)
Makes the whole Swing shooting experience a lot more pleasant.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
shugie
Past Supporter

#7 Post by shugie »

Pete wrote:What StandEasy said to get the cap off, but I use a bit of tubing over the bolt handle rather than a mallet, plus, if you're going for a full strip down, make sure you have an Allen key of exactly the right size to fit the tiny grubby that locks the front spring retaining ring on to the firing pin............if you don't get a really snug fit, you WILL round the hole out, and that way tears and madness lay..........the ring itself appears to be case-hardened.

And while it's in bits, why not fit a set of Belleville washers in place of the ridiculously heavy firing pin spring? (Assuming some enlightened soul hasn't already done so)
Makes the whole Swing shooting experience a lot more pleasant.

Pete
I shall probably just clean it for the moment, having been warned about that grub screw! It's not got Belleville washers at the moment, it makes the usual Swing "ping", and is not too bad to open for the most part. A possible future project though.
JohnASmith97
Home club or Range: Southampton University

#8 Post by JohnASmith97 »

On a similar note, how does one go about decocking the bolt? Is it a situation that requires a tool of some kind to do properly?
shugie
Past Supporter

#9 Post by shugie »

JohnASmith97 wrote:On a similar note, how does one go about decocking the bolt? Is it a situation that requires a tool of some kind to do properly?
I inherited a tool to do the job - a ring with a section removed so it can be slid over the smaller diameter behind the locking lugs, the handle attached to the ring allows the leverage to be applied to spring the pin. Whether you actually need it or not I'm less convinced about, the spring is so hefty that losing a bit of strength would probably not matter.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

I think the rationale behind the huge spring was that it would minimise the lock time. Short lock time is crucial for a sling-supported TR rifle.
When I first got my mk4, I used to carry a bit of tubing to fit over the bolt handle for a bit more leverage.
I remember asking HPS a few years ago about installing Bellville's in place of the spring, and John Carmichael gave me a bag of secondhand Bellville's.
He used to replace them with springs.....................chaque'un a son gout, as they say.
I also have a CG-RPA 2000, one of Robert Chombart's designs, and this has Belleville's.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....