Howa .223 and GRS berserk stock

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

ellmerfudd
Home club or Range: home and range

Howa .223 and GRS berserk stock

#1 Post by ellmerfudd »

Good afternoon everyone, I have had a few Remmy 700 .223 with the Hogue wobbly stocks and swapped them for HS Precision ally bedded ones and all shot perfect, has anyone any experience with the Howas in .223 ?what twist did you choose ? how do they perform and stand up to use ? Also does anyone have the GRS berserk stock and what do you think of them as there is a Howa 20” blued Varmint with GRS berserk stock for sale new at a good price but don't want to end up swapping stocks again
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Howa .223 and GRS berserk stock

#2 Post by kennyc »

ellmerfudd wrote:Good afternoon everyone, I have had a few Remmy 700 .223 with the Hogue wobbly stocks and swapped them for HS Precision ally bedded ones and all shot perfect, has anyone any experience with the Howas in .223 ?what twist did you choose ? how do they perform and stand up to use ? Also does anyone have the GRS berserk stock and what do you think of them as there is a Howa 20” blued Varmint with GRS berserk stock for sale new at a good price but don't want to end up swapping stocks again
if you like it the GRS is very good, I have a 24" varmint .223 on order in 1in9 twist, which is currently the option Howa offer, I have a couple of Howas allready, and quite like the Hogue stock for field use, that said, I have Boyds on one and Bell and Carlsons on the others for target use, for field use the B&C's are noticeably heavier and noisier if you knock them against stuff, the rifle is just as accurate with the Hoque as with the B&Cs, on a range probably not, but is horses for course and life is a trade off in many ways cheers
ellmerfudd

#3 Post by ellmerfudd »

kennyc wrote:
ellmerfudd wrote:Good afternoon everyone, I have had a few Remmy 700 .223 with the Hogue wobbly stocks and swapped them for HS Precision ally bedded ones and all shot perfect, has anyone any experience with the Howas in .223 ?what twist did you choose ? how do they perform and stand up to use ? Also does anyone have the GRS berserk stock and what do you think of them as there is a Howa 20” blued Varmint with GRS berserk stock for sale new at a good price but don't want to end up swapping stocks again
if you like it the GRS is very good, I have a 24" varmint .223 on order in 1in9 twist, which is currently the option Howa offer, I have a couple of Howas allready, and quite like the Hogue stock for field use, that said, I have Boyds on one and Bell and Carlsons on the others for target use, for field use the B&C's are noticeably heavier and noisier if you knock them against stuff, the rifle is just as accurate with the Hoque as with the B&Cs, on a range probably not, but is horses for course and life is a trade off in many ways cheers

Thank you I need something for vermin work but also some range time I just wondered what the actions were like compared to remmys or Tikka’s
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

ellmerfudd wrote:
kennyc wrote:

Thank you I need something for vermin work but also some range time I just wondered what the actions were like compared to remmys or Tikka’s
I have had a remmie and the Howa is as good as it , plus has a better ejector/extractor design in my opinion, the bolt design is stronger and the action is a good strong flat bottomed design, the Tikka will be smoother out of the box but after "I have no idea how many thousand" rounds my oldest Howa is smooth as a smooth thing, all 3 of them will shoot well out of the box, or theres something wrong with the rifle itself.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#5 Post by daman »

I have had a Howa .223 for a few years now. Changed the stock from the Hogue to the GRS Berserk last year and definitely saw my group size close up a bit.

Pretty sure it's a 1 in 12 twist (I can check), it likes anything 55gn and under.

I did try it with some milsurp 62gn but the target ended up looking like I'd been using a shotgun rather than a rifle.

Overall, with the GRS stock and sonic moderator it's my second favourite rifle ;-)
ellmerfudd

#6 Post by ellmerfudd »

Thank you all for your input, I went to Livens today and bought a 20”” 1:9 in a Bell and Carlson black stock, just need to sort a mod out now then run her in shakeshout