Shooting glasses for target rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

Shooting glasses for target rifle

#1 Post by North Star »

What shooting glasses are you target rifle types using at the moment? I have a pair of Knobloch shooting glasses that I bought from Surrey Guns, donkey's years ago, and I modified the bridge a few years back, so that I could use them for prone rifle shooting. The lens alignment with the rear sight is good, but I think the lens is too close to my forehead, as I slowly get a greasy, steamy cloud forming on the lens whilst I'm shooting, which gives me a degrading sight picture! I have considered buying some of those DECOT shooting glasses from the States, which allows you to slide the lenses up and down whilst still maintaining contact with the bridge of your nose, but with prescription lenses, these would be pricey. There are a whole bunch of funky German glasses available, but these seem to be geared towards standing air rifle or 3P shooting. Do you folks have any recommendations?
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

Re: Shooting glasses for target rifle

#2 Post by Duey »

I have used the Zeiss sport glasses for a couple of years now and find for me they work very well
I got them through the post from JH Stewart at Bisley, just sent him my prescription and I requested reactive lenses as well
I mainly shoot prone but have also used on a bench and also done some clays with them, just adjust the bridge to centre the lenses to where you want them and away you go
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

Strange this question has popped up now, i was thinking about asking a similar question...

I had my eyes tested a few years ago and they said my eyes, (like the rest of me!!), was getting old and i needed reading glasses. I did find that they also helped me see the sights on my LBR at arms length too.

I realised a few days ago that my right (shooting) eye has deteriorated considerably, and also has an astigmatism, so i'm trying to get an opticians appt asap.
I'm assuming I'll end up with full time glasses, so are there any frame types that are better, or worse, for shooting..?

I don't know if I'd go to the extent of dedicated shooting glasses...just some general purpose ones that i can also use for shooting..

TIA

Daryll.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

Daryll wrote:
I don't know if I'd go to the extent of dedicated shooting glasses...just some general purpose ones that i can also use for shooting..

Daryll.

If you want to do it on the cheap - have a look at the £5 racks of reading glasses - If you are shooting your LBR with open sights then you need sharp focus on the fore sight, so when you try them on srtretch out your arm plus about a foot and see if you can see newsprint at that distance. (or go and spend £200 on some proper shooting specs.:) )
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

1066 wrote:
If you want to do it on the cheap - have a look at the £5 racks of reading glasses - If you are shooting your LBR with open sights then you need sharp focus on the fore sight, so when you try them on srtretch out your arm plus about a foot and see if you can see newsprint at that distance. (or go and spend £200 on some proper shooting specs.:) )
Yep, whenever i'm shopping and see a cheap pair of "ready-readers" i pick them up... I must have 5-6 pairs around the house, 2 on my desk at work and a pair in my shooting bag.. :D

But I have a suspicion that my next pair will have to a proper prescription pair, and probably not just resting on my nose, but paid through it too!
Bolte
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Bolte »

Cheapo reading specs are my choice as well. :good:
knewmans

#7 Post by knewmans »

I bought a pair of these

https://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/sho ... Varga-2000

Then got my optician to get a prescription lens to focus on the foresight - 0.5 dioptre less than the distance reading prescription. Its marked to show correct position for my astigmatism so you can get it right after you've adjusted the glasses to fit.

#8 Post by 1066 »

TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#9 Post by 1066 »

New technology is slowly creeping in, although not cheap yet. There's no reason these couldn't be made for £20 or so. Variable/adjustable lens designed for target shooting - this one works on the fluid membrane system.

http://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php?detail=VA300VA
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com