Vz 58 Straight Pull charging handle upgrade.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

raybrown53
Home club or Range: Corinium Rifle Range / WNSC

Vz 58 Straight Pull charging handle upgrade.

#1 Post by raybrown53 »

So while I love shooting my SP Vz58 I don't love taking the skin of my knuckles when I do.

What I wanted to do was put on something similar to the extended handle I have on my AK.

Has anyone out there who shoots a 58 found a solution to improve the charging handle?
When in doubt C4
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Vz 58 Straight Pull charging handle upgrade.

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I haven't seen anything about, i have to admit i'd prefer it to be on the left side of the gun!

Have a scour through here might through something up;

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?board=67.0
DVC
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#3 Post by Zilberbak »

Have tried to think of various quick fixes including drilling the centre out of the handle and threading to take a short length of studding to take a threaded ball but the steel was too hard and beyond my amateur bench drilling capabilities. My next thought was a pipe Munson ring but struggling to find one that goes down to the diameter of the the handle but still looking, once fitted a suitable piece of studding or threaded bar could be fitted to it with whatever handle on the end to pull. Scott at Caledonian has tricked up one of his with a convential straight pull handle on it but can’t remember how he fitted it. For me it’s not the knuckle bashing it’s getting enough grip to pull the bolt back to get a good ejection. I get the same with my Dragunov (Tigr) but use a used case to put over the charging handle and it makes all the difference pulling the bolt back each time. I have put a short piece of 15mm copper pipe in my range bag to try on the VZ58 as it fits over the bolt handle but it is a bit Heath Robinson. I also scoured the Net but haven’t found anything proprietary like the AK one that is available.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#4 Post by pe4king »

I fittest the chuck outer of a tap wrench to mine long gone so no pics but it worked fine and didn’t look out of place.
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Zilberbak

#5 Post by Zilberbak »

Yep, l can see that working. Will look at Friday as is next day off and update then.
Zilberbak

pigsy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by pigsy »

RB - had/have exactly the same issue.

I got chatting to Dave Wylde @ Valkyrie one day at Bisley and sent him the bolt carrier to look at revising the charging handle position.

The expert opinion was that there was not enough material on the carrier to take any changes (although I have seen somewhere on the internet a double handled carrier).

I either now wear a glove or change my hold with palm facing upwards.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

Zilberbak wrote:
For me it’s not the knuckle bashing it’s getting enough grip to pull the bolt back to get a good ejection. I get the same with my Dragunov (Tigr) but use a used case to put over the charging handle and it makes all the difference pulling the bolt back each time.
Strange, mine can be cycled with one finger and is as smooth as silk.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Zilberbak

#8 Post by Zilberbak »

I sometimes get the occasional hard extraction on the Tigr which l put down to over generous powder measurement in the surplus ammo but normally it cycles relatively easily. Using a case just makes it that little bit easier to get a better grip on the charging handle.
Zilberbak

raybrown53
Home club or Range: Corinium Rifle Range / WNSC

#9 Post by raybrown53 »

pigsy wrote:RB - had/have exactly the same issue.

I got chatting to Dave Wylde @ Valkyrie one day at Bisley and sent him the bolt carrier to look at revising the charging handle position.

The expert opinion was that there was not enough material on the carrier to take any changes (although I have seen somewhere on the internet a double handled carrier).

I either now wear a glove or change my hold with palm facing upwards.
I have seen the double sided carrier too. I had spoken with Scott at CCA a few years back and he had mentioned he was looking at a drop back or cammed charging handle. My only issue is taking the skin off so think I will wear a glove when I remember to take one with me lol
When in doubt C4
Zilberbak

#10 Post by Zilberbak »

Played around with various bits and pieces and decided to live with both my VZ’s as they are. Took the .223 out over the weekend and with a glove on didn’t have much of an issue pulling the handle as is. Will leave alone unless a proprietary one comes out.
Zilberbak