Is it possible a rifle doesn't like being moderated?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Is it possible a rifle doesn't like being moderated?

#11 Post by kennyc »

1066 wrote:Conversely I've seen groups tighten up with a mod too, turning an average rifle into a good performer. I guess it works much like a barrel tuner, as it's not adjustable it's a bit of pot luck.
+1 my deer rifle goes from 11/2-2 MOA groups without to sub MOA with an ASE utra mod on.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#12 Post by kennyc »

Blackstuff wrote:Does the Evo have the same derlin type bushing on the back that needs to be cut to fit your barrel thickness like the Predator does? If so it could be that. It just needs reaming out so that it doesn't touch your barrel.

I had the same problem on my AUG with my Wildcat Predator. The shop i bought it at did a p***-poor job of reaming out the rear bushing (the hole through was at an angle and putting loads of pressure on the barrel). Once i'd bored it out a bit everything was good in the world! Except i was astonished at the amount of POI difference putting the mod on had considering how little of the AUG barrel protrudes from the receiver and its thickness, probs dropped around 5" @ 100m! :o

Its worth it though, the AUG suppresses lovely!
my AUG at 600yds used to gain a MOA of elevation or so after 5-10 shots due, I suspect to heat distortion
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#13 Post by Daryll »

Daryll wrote:Thanks BS, thats worth a check... I did give them the barrel diameter 107mm from the thread shoulder, as they specified, and theres no resistance to screwing it on, but I'll try fitting it and doing the "fiver test"

You're doing well to only get a 5'' drop at 100yds... I was getting a good 4'' at 50 yds!

"fiver test"..??? HA...!! I'd have struggled to do a Rizla test..!

When i eventually found some paper thin enough to fit in the gap, it then didn't go all the way around, so deffo touching somewhere.
I've now used a Dremel, sandpaper wrapped around a 20mm pipe, and sandpaper wrapped around my finger, (Delrin is tough stuff, isn't it..!?!?) to ream the hole out to about 22mm.. barrel is 20mm dia..

I now CAN do the fiver test. :D

I'll try it next week, and taking the bushing out completely, and check the group sizes.

Thanks All...
Daryll
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Daryll »

Just a follow up on this.. it was the bushing...

As i mentioned, i reamed out the bushing to give a gap all around, and when i tested it yesterday the groups were as good, or possibly better than without the moderator..

so all good now, thanks for the tips.. :good:

Now i just have to remember to always use it... theres a 3'' drop in elevation at 25yds with the moderator on...!!!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

goodjob
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Daryll wrote: Now i just have to remember to always use it... theres a 3'' drop in elevation at 25yds with the moderator on...!!!

More a case of scope to bore offset at such a close range.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:
Daryll wrote: Now i just have to remember to always use it... theres a 3'' drop in elevation at 25yds with the moderator on...!!!

He means that at 25yds it hits point of aim without the moderator on, then when he puts it on the point of impact drops 3", rather than say with a 100yd zero theres are 3" difference in POI at 25yds.

Its bizarre how much drop you get putting a mod on an AUG, even with a cold barrel.
DVC
Daryll
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Daryll »

Blackstuff wrote:
Sim G wrote:

He means that at 25yds it hits point of aim without the moderator on, then when he puts it on the point of impact drops 3", rather than say with a 100yd zero theres are 3" difference in POI at 25yds.

Its bizarre how much drop you get putting a mod on an AUG, even with a cold barrel.

Yes, exactly that.... I fired 2x 5-shot groups with known ammo to check my grouping.
I then screwed on the moderator and using the same aiming points fired 2 more 5-shot groups.
They fell 2.5-3 inches lower than the un-moderated groups.

I then tweaked the sights up and fired one more 5 shot group at a different target.

(When i get home I'll post a photo...)

I would guess either (or both) the extra weight of the moderator is stopping the barrel rising as much before the bullet leaves the barrel, or the weight is affecting the barrel harmonics, so the muzzle is pointing downwards (or just lower than normal) as the bullet exits.
Daryll
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Daryll »

So top 2 groups un-moderated, 2 groups between the targets are moderated, aimed at the top targets, bottom right group is moderated after sights tweaked...