CSR Skills development training rifle?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Grifff
Home club or Range: 8th Warwickshire Rifle Club

CSR Skills development training rifle?

#1 Post by Grifff »

Hi, booked in at Bisley end of September, I booked the whole package with gun hire and ammo but I have a tikka t3 tac .223 ( not the new tac a1) which I can get a 10 shot mag for. Which should I use, hire gun or tikka?

Cheers
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: CSR Skills development training rifle?

#2 Post by breacher »

What do you intend to use later in competition ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#3 Post by Airbrush »

Use your own rifle.
proteus
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by proteus »

Call me tight but if I'd paid for a hire rifle I'd be using it.

What you learn will be transferable and it's an opportunity to have a go on something else. I assume that you are already pretty comfortable with your own rifle.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#5 Post by Maggot »

proteus wrote:Call me tight but if I'd paid for a hire rifle I'd be using it.

What you learn will be transferable and it's an opportunity to have a go on something else. I assume that you are already pretty comfortable with your own rifle.
Sorry, I disagree.

Having coached on the courses there are several good reasons for using your own rifle if you can (and if you intend on competing with it later).

1. It will be zeroed and fitted to you, you will know your way round it, it is a known quantity.

2. Coaches can offer you help and advice you can take away and act on, not always so with a hired rifle.

3. You will have a zeroing session with the hired rifles, the ammo would be better used for the actual practices.

4. You will take away good elevations for the distances you are shooting at.

You would be staggerd at how awkward people find strange (to them) rifles. A few weeks back I let some probationers shoot 5 round groups with my match rifle. Its a Bradley and cycles like a biathlon rifle, but virtually none of them could cycle it easilly as it fits me, and nobody else.

If it was me, I would use my own and cancel the hire.
Grifff

#6 Post by Grifff »

Thanks for the suggestions, the tikka is new to me but I will have time to set it up before I hope. As for what I would use in a comp I'm not sure. If I like it and get on ok I might get something more suitable. Hire was less than £20 so not a big issue. I guess the hire gun would be a straight pull against the tikka which is a bolt.
proteus
Home club or Range: Bisley

#7 Post by proteus »

In that case of go with the tikka - it'll give you a chance to get used to it
Grifff

#8 Post by Grifff »

Ok will do I've just ordered the 10 shot mag £110 !
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#9 Post by Maggot »

Griff, Martin Camp wins shoots with an AI mate, that is a big heavy thumper with a bolt. You will be fine...or end up buying an AR ;)

People also compete with No4s in the Historic class, again with bolts. It comes down to how practiced you are with your rifle.

What I will say to anyone shooting the course or any CSR shoots is this. KNOW YOUR ELEVATIONS FROM 100-600yds. If you are on the course at least have a decent reliable zero for 100, it will save a lot of time on the day. Most of us can then ballpark you from 100-200 and then to 300.

Also, do some dry practice and try to get the various positions sorted so that the rifle is pretty well in the same position relative to your head every time, this will help reduce shifting MPIs. This is most notable standing supported at 100, or in the sitting/standing position where people tend to hunch over the rifle rather than trying to keep it upright (your head, not the rifle clapclap ).
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

Maggot, do you happen to know if there are any plans to bring the CSR course to Altcar again? I was unable to attend last time but managed to encourage several club members to attend.