Moderator for the Range?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

underthebridge
Home club or Range: MRPC

Moderator for the Range?

#1 Post by underthebridge »

What should I be looking for with a rifle dedicated to target shooting?
I'm assuming weight isn't such an issue, but longevity is as shots will be more frequent and count will be higher.
Its for a 6.5 CM, what would you recommend?
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Re: Moderator for the Range?

#2 Post by JS569 »

I think the ASE's get a good write up and are built to last. However, they are not cheap. I bought a Wildcat which I use for CSR occasionally, it's well made, easy to clean and seems to do the job on higher round count strings.
RDC

#3 Post by RDC »

I've been considering the Wildcat Predator 12 for both a 308 and 223, also range use. Anyone with relevant experience able to chime in?
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

I'm still using my old T8 mods - cannot fault them. Just keep them oiled after use.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

RDC wrote:I've been considering the Wildcat Predator 12 for both a 308 and 223, also range use. Anyone with relevant experience able to chime in?
not with the predator, but I use the evo in .223 and .308, and so far they are reasonably light, and give good sound redustion, for range use I just use the .308 on both calibres as noise reduction isnt such a large issue as it is out in the fields at 0-dark thirty, then I use the .223 specific to wring the last dregs out of the noise reduction.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

Great moderators and really great people to deal with.

I got my predator second hand and shot to b*ggery, called them they machined me a new bush to go round my fat barrel and threw in about 10 complete o ring sets so I could keep it serviced.

£10 and it all arrived next day.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#7 Post by kennyc »

safetyfirst wrote:Great moderators and really great people to deal with.

I got my predator second hand and shot to b*ggery, called them they machined me a new bush to go round my fat barrel and threw in about 10 complete o ring sets so I could keep it serviced.

£10 and it all arrived next day.
as I already have a barrel that was ruined cosmetically by a damned T8 I use my wildcats without a bush, and just take a little more care starting the thread cheers
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

Oh, what was the difference with or without one in terms of barrel damage? Did some smoke and residue build up more?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Choose the heaviest model you can find if it is for range use. The one on my AI is a combination of stainless and aluminium and is heavy enough to club baby seals to death. I can also shoot 10 shots and immediately removing it without losing the skin off my hands.

Remember to remove it when not in use!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
the running man

#10 Post by the running man »

I've owned and scrapped many moderators, the t8's came and went,recessed and flush all come around like fashion.

The best make currently available is the ase,I have many over the years and this is the best one I've ever had... I have one on my 300 blackout,and with a sub load it's about the same as my sako finnfire..

The hauksen is also very good,the wildcats are also very popular now but do not try to compare to an ase....not the same league.
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......