Another "Help find me a rifle" thread...

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Another "Help find me a rifle" thread...

#11 Post by WelshShooter »

I second the CZ 527. All varmint barrels should be the 1:9" twist. I have the varmint kevlar version and it shoots 52gr to 69gr bullets very well, I haven't tried anything heavier than 69gr so cannot comment on ability to shoot anything heavier than that.

The detachable magazine holds up to 5 bullets. The barrel is 24" long.

The rail is a 16.5mm dovetail which you can get Warne split rings for (1" or 30mm scope tube) but you can buy a picatinny rail to fit the dovetail mount. If you go down this route bear in mind the scope will sit a fair bit higher compared with a rail which would normally fit a drilled and tapped receiver (eg Remington 700).

I got my varmint kevlar second hand for around £650 (just the rifle) and I wouldn't hesitate buying it new if I hadn't found one second hand.

Picture attached of my rifle with a Vortex 6-24x50 PST, Warne high rings, Wildcat Moderator and a cheek rest/riser.

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#12 Post by Daryll »

Thanks Knewmans, Sim and Welsh....

This is why its so confusing.. you try to do research, and get conflicting results... you would think the importers would put the correct info on the website... wallhead

In that case the CZ goes to the top of my list...:D
knewmans

#13 Post by knewmans »

My Cz will happily shoot berger 73gr BT Target bullets.
Ken
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#14 Post by Daryll »

Just an update on this... hopefully my FAC is on its way back to me with a couple of new slots, including the .223..

At the moment, my shortlist is CZ527 Varmint Laminate, Mossberg MVP Varmint, or a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Varmint Target (as my local RFD has one...)

I'm also a member of the Mossberg forums, so asked there what would be peoples choice of those 3, in 1:9 twist, and had a surprising comment..:

"Well, you will require a 1:7" or 1:8" twist if you are shooting 75s.
If all copper 75s you definitely need 1:7".
As you know, 55 up to 64-gr would be fine with 1:9" but they don't fly to 600 worth sh!t.
If it were me I would go with the CZ for the overall higher quality but the rifle only comes 1:9" which will never shoot MOA to 600-yards. And they have that weird scope base "issue".
I'd pick the Ruger Hawkeye Vamint next but it too is 1:9" twist. Durn it. Again not a 600 yard rifle unless you have perfect conditions and then it's not MOA."

:o