AUG Muzzle Brake

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

Re: AUG Muzzle Brake

#11 Post by Maggot »

kennyc wrote:I am pretty sure that a flash hider such as the birdcage type are actually treated differently than brakes and are a controlled item ? Strange but there you go with UK firearms licencing ,there was a thread on here about it l. The raptor handle was the one I used on mine and the maker was very helpful about sending it but that was some time ago and things may have changed. A good grease on the rails can help reduce sticktion, I have also heard of people removing one of the return springs which made sense as there is no recoil or gas system involved and the action locks on a cam so you just need to be sure the bolt is fully forward, some googling required here methinks.
You are right Kenny. I keep mine for the .22 and .308 as they were provided with the rifle. I "Think" it is because they are designed to make the thing harder to locate although I never saw much evidence of that. A colleague of mine tells of someone getting collared for having one without the associated rifle but as usual, get it in writing from your FEO.

Be careful with greases, particularly near plastics and PTFE (or PTFE carrying sprays). Recently I gummed up my new BAR10 but putting some moly grease on the contact areas and the rear of the locking splines (old F class habit). This caused an effect similar to smearing evostick onto the bolt and I had to forward assist on each charging. A good clean and some light rifle oil and the bolt was closing under its own weight at the slightest angle, which is what you want. We think the Moly or the carrier grease reacted with the PTFE coating and gummed it up.

Some years back I used some PTFE spray on a model heli collective slider (Glass filled nylon on a steel shaft). Ran it up and it screamed its head off but would not lift. The carrier fluid had evaporated leaving the lot glued together by PTFE....not what I was after. Probably should have sprayed it on and then assembled it.

Oh yes.... Good Morning Bradders :D