Whats a ball park figure for re barreling a .308 action.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Whats a ball park figure for re barreling a .308 action.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have a .308 Tikka short action (rifle) thats been rebarreled in 6.5x55. Not a good idea. I was thinking of selling it but I think it would be difficult to move on. I wondered how mutch would it cost to rebarrel it in 6.5 creedmore or 6.5x47. Any one any idea.
Chapuis

Re: Whats a ball park figure for re barreling a .308 action.

#2 Post by Chapuis »

Why do you think it would be hard to sell, 6.5x55 is a perfectly good cartridge. Personally I would prefer a 6.5x55 to a .243 for example as its far more versatile with the right bullets and load, after all its accepted for moose in most Scandinavian countries.
Yes 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x57 may be more modern and sexier but 6.5 Swede will still do the business at reasonable stalking distances and re-barrelling will cost you £650 at least for the cheapest new barrel fitted plus proofing costs.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

You could always do it yourself. As an example a set of gauges plus a reamer and bushings is just over GBP300 from BBT and a barrel blank anything from GBP225 upwards.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

I recently had a re-barreling job done with a Bergara 6mm blank bought from Brian Fox and the work done by Crispin Engineering.
Total cost was £475 inc proof.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

Sorry, forgot VAT on the work......total was £526.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

Pete wrote:Sorry, forgot VAT on the work......total was £526.

Pete
That is extremely cheap.
BlackburnBuccaneer
Home club or Range: Cawdor Rifle and Gun Club

#7 Post by BlackburnBuccaneer »

Alpha1 wrote:I have a .308 Tikka short action (rifle) thats been rebarreled in 6.5x55. Not a good idea. I was thinking of selling it but I think it would be difficult to move on. I wondered how mutch would it cost to rebarrel it in 6.5 creedmore or 6.5x47. Any one any idea.
If it is a Tikka T3, all the actions are the same length and the only thing that is different in terms of action length is the bolt stop and magazine. As such the bolt throw can be lengthened to the long ation throw simply by changing the bolt stop or modifying the existing ones length. Also the ejection port could be opened up if needed, all cheaper than a new barrel if it already shoots well.

However if it is a 590/595 I can see your dilemma.
22LR Browning T-Bolt, SIG 522 & Tikka T1x MDT Oryx | 222Rem Brno Fox &  Tikka T3 - KRG X-Ray | 223Rem Tikka T3 Benchmark - KRG X-Ray | 243Win/308Win Sauer 200 | 308Win Tikka T3 Hardy - KRG X-Ray | 308Win & 6mm CM Sauer SSG3000  | 7.5x55 K31
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

BlackburnBuccaneer wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I have a .308 Tikka short action (rifle) thats been rebarreled in 6.5x55. Not a good idea. I was thinking of selling it but I think it would be difficult to move on. I wondered how mutch would it cost to rebarrel it in 6.5 creedmore or 6.5x47. Any one any idea.
If it is a Tikka T3, all the actions are the same length and the only thing that is different in terms of action length is the bolt stop and magazine. As such the bolt throw can be lengthened to the long ation throw simply by changing the bolt stop or modifying the existing ones length. Also the ejection port could be opened up if needed, all cheaper than a new barrel if it already shoots well.

However if it is a 590/595 I can see your dilemma.
Its not a T3 so yes you see my dillema.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Chapuis wrote:Why do you think it would be hard to sell, 6.5x55 is a perfectly good cartridge. Personally I would prefer a 6.5x55 to a .243 for example as its far more versatile with the right bullets and load, after all its accepted for moose in most Scandinavian countries.
Yes 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x57 may be more modern and sexier but 6.5 Swede will still do the business at reasonable stalking distances and re-barrelling will cost you £650 at least for the cheapest new barrel fitted plus proofing costs.
Because its been built on a short .308 action its very very fussy amunition wise. Most factory ammo will not feed from the magazine. I single load it with hand loads. Having said that its very accurate. I didnt realize it was built on a short action when I bought it. It took me quite a while to work out a load for it. I had a lot of greif trying to get it to work with factory ammo. I gave up using bought ammo and now only use hand loads in it single loaded.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

The 6.5x47 Lapua will work with a 308 bolt face without modification. Furthermore, 6.5x47 Lapua will fit and feed from a standard 308 magazine. The overall length of the round is shorter than 308 so you can load your rounds to the lands and you should have some space leftover.

My 6.5x47 Lapua was made from a 308 Remington 700 donor rifle by Valkyrie Rifles. IIRC it was about £700-£800 for the job including proofing for a 28" Border barrel with 1/8.5" twist. That was about 4 years ago.