Scopes. Scopes.Scopes looking forward to this season.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Scopes. Scopes.Scopes looking forward to this season.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

In the past, I have been mainly interested in and shot Milsurp rifles. But my eyesight is crap nowadays so iron sights are a pain. So I have moved away from Milsurps and had a clear out. The only Milsurps I have left are a No4 that I have had from day one and will never part with. A mas36 that I will never part with and a P14 that might yet go the Journey.
So I have decided to learn how to use scopes.
I have acquired a Vortex Viper a Nightforce another model very similar in spec to the Vortex. A Leupold and I have two Kahles ZX84s with calibrated turrets one in .308 and one in 6.5x55. I have other scopes but I'm not sure of there pedigree.
I have acquired a couple of rifles.
I have the SSG 69 P1. Another one I will never part with. One of the Kahles is factory fitted to this rifle.
The rest of the scopes will eventually be allocated a rifle I'm swapping them about at the moment this year starting this weekend I'm going to play with them. It's unlikely I will ever shoot over 600 yards so I think the stuff I have acquired will do the job. I am hoping to add one of the new Ruger long range rifles in .308 or something similar to my collection this year. I'm open to suggestions as to what to buy in this category.
Looking forward to getting on the range.

teanews hmm whats next.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Scopes. Scopes.Scopes looking forward to this season.

#2 Post by Dellboy »

Ruger precision in 6.5 Creed ticks a lot of boxes ive shot some (out to 1000) but not bought one ....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks for the info but if I do buy one it will be in .308. The .308 will cope with everything I need it to do and I already have all the reloading gear and components to feed it. I don't need a 6.5 creedmore.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:Thanks for the info but if I do buy one it will be in .308. The .308 will cope with everything I need it to do and I already have all the reloading gear and components to feed it. I don't need a 6.5 creedmore.

so buy it in 308
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Dellboy wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Thanks for the info but if I do buy one it will be in .308. The .308 will cope with everything I need it to do and I already have all the reloading gear and components to feed it. I don't need a 6.5 creedmore.

so buy it in 308
That was an answer to a post that is missing it looks like its been deleted. The guy sent me a link by pm.

Any way moving on rapidly yes I will be buying one in .308 when the time comes. My local firearms dealer has several in stock. I just need to work out a deal with him and replenish the bank account so I can pay for it.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#6 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:
Dellboy wrote:

so buy it in 308
That was an answer to a post that is missing it looks like its been deleted. The guy sent me a link by pm.

Any way moving on rapidly yes I will be buying one in .308 when the time comes. My local firearms dealer has several in stock. I just need to work out a deal with him and replenish the bank account so I can pay for it.

having shot both ay longer range the 6.5 is more comfortable to shoot just a thought
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#7 Post by Geek »

My recommendation would be a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor (I do appreciate that you have said 308). However, I have an AI AT (308) and a Ruger PR (6.5CM) and for longer distances I would (now) choose the Ruger every time. I am unwilling to load "hot" 308 rounds to get the velocities needed to shoot a 308 at 1000 yards.

The Ruger in 6.5CM is a very accurate rifle and was good value for money, however, prices have risen.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#8 Post by Plumose »

It is also worth looking at the Sabatti STR in 6.5CM it feels much more substantial than the RPR when I handled them at the dealers
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

How much does it cost to feed a 6.5 Creedmore as opposed to a .308. Bought ammunition not reloaded.
How much does it cost to re load for the Creedmore as opposed to the .308 taking into account I am all ready tooled up for .308 and all ready have loads that work in the .308 that fit my budget.
I would have to start from scratch and buy everything from new for the creedmore.
What do you think?
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#10 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:How much does it cost to feed a 6.5 Creedmore as opposed to a .308. Bought ammunition not reloaded.
How much does it cost to re load for the Creedmore as opposed to the .308 taking into account I am all ready tooled up for .308 and all ready have loads that work in the .308 that fit my budget.
I would have to start from scratch and buy everything from new for the creedmore.
What do you think?

bought ammo isnt much dearer if at all than 308 and if you reload just a set of dies ..

I thought you loved the challenge :good:
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books