Rossi 92 .357

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Rossi 92 .357

#1 Post by rufrdr »

I recently bought replacement for my 35 year old Rossi 92 .357. The replacement is the same gun except without the useless saddle ring on the left side.

The old Rossi is the first gun I ever wore out from heavy use. Although it still shot accurately, the feeding was unreliable, the wood butt and handguard were both splitting, the feed gate was worn and wouldn't function properly...generally it was full of problems. I'm sure it could have been rebuilt but a replacement was not much more than the cost of parts and labor to rebuild the old one. I doubt I'll be around long enough to wear this one out!

I sold my old one to a fellow who is going to use it to shoot vermin trying to get at his chickens. He feels that feeding a round directly into the chamber from the open action will be sufficient for his task at hand.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
greenshoots

Re: Rossi 92 .357

#2 Post by greenshoots »

yes i love my 92

greenshoots
Green by Design
Andy

#3 Post by Andy »

Nice. I love my Rossi 92. I've got a 20" hexagonal stainless version on 357.
Only problem is I can't get parts for it anymore. The loading gate broke so I had to make my own.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

I've recently bought a 92 in .45 Colt as a project gun... working fine now and my next step is to mount a receiver peep sight (drill and tap the side of the receiver).

I needed a screw to get the rifle working and managed to get one from A&A Gunsmiths up in Skegness... if you need parts they're worth a try.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

I love my old Rossi in .44 magnum - complete with saddle-ring. My wife loves her Rossi 92 as well. Hers is in .44-40, and again with a saddle-ring. I am a traditionalist and I like the saddle ring. I shopped long and hard when I bought my last Winchester 94 - I wanted a Trapper model, with the saddle-ring and made before they introduced that stupid 'angle-eject' feature. Took me a couple of years, but I finally managed to find one.

Have you guys tried contacting Rossi directly for spare parts? I wrote them a number of years ago (well - quite a number of years ago - back when I still lived in Canada) asking them where I could buy a replacement for my cracked butt-stock. A new one arrived in the mail, unannounced.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

According to the US "Rossi Riflemen" forum, Rossi (Taurus/BrazTech?) are a much different company now.. there are many cases where people have contacted them for parts and Rossi won't send them, you have to send the whole rifle to Rossi.

If A&A Gunsmiths can't help, http://www.waffen-ferkinghoff.com do seem to have a fair range, or you could try RossiUSA
Andy

#7 Post by Andy »

I've tried that German site, no stock of loading gates. Email ed them and got no response.
Tac20 mark

#8 Post by Tac20 mark »

when I had my 92 in 357 ejector broke couldnt get any spares through importer they kept saying 6 months ended up bit of cold weld job sorted