Scope Advice

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

Scope Advice

#1 Post by Lever357 »

I know absolutely diddly squat about scopes. Have one on my Enforcer, original Pecar that is set for 300 yards and anything different to that I just aim off.

Bought a Tikka T3X as it was a good deal and need a scope. Friend has a Burris XTR 11 4-20x50mm in a Spuhr mount for sale. Used it on Saturday. Most shooting I do is between 200 and 700 yards, target shooting.

Any thoughts/suggestions??? Help and advice.
Attachments
IMG-20190706-WA0001.jpg
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Scope Advice

#2 Post by 1066 »

Well I guess it depends on the price. Seems a reasonable scope and Burris have a fair reputation, although I believe these scopes are made in the Philippines. 4-20x50 is fine and this scope has around 90 moa of vertical adjustment so will get you out to 700 yards with no problem.

I had a Burris on one of my rifles for 5-6 years and no problems.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Matt101
Home club or Range: Kingsbury

#3 Post by Matt101 »

Just a question from a newbie. What sort of magnification would you recommend out to 600+ yards? I'm looking at scopes myself so any help appreciated.

Matt
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Magnification is such a subjective thing, it depends upon the type shooting you're engaged in.

For me if I'm snap shooting off-hand at 100 or less then I go for 1.5-3x depending upon the rifle - it's the lowest mag for the two competitive scoped rifles I shoot at these distances, I'd go lower if I could on the 3x scope.
If I'm bagged or otherwise rested and there's plenty of time to acquire target the a larger magnification will do where the reduced FOV is not an issue.

I shoot Service Optic class in CSR and the 500 (and occasional 600) target is small at 4.bowl but is still doable, I would like a bit more magnification (as my eyes are getting old) but that's the nature of the game and I don't want to change class just yet. On my scoped rifles (not the hunting rifles) the max magnification I have available is 10x and I can place shots reliably on targets at up to 600yds, it's not the lack of mag that causes me any issues at this distance, that's all down to me.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Matt101 wrote:Just a question from a newbie. What sort of magnification would you recommend out to 600+ yards? I'm looking at scopes myself so any help appreciated.

Matt
If you are using a rested rifle, you can't really have too much magnification. I'd go for an 8-32 zoom in second focal plane - if your shooting is at know distance on formal ranges.

If you want cheap (but decent) Chinese - go for a Fox Firearms 8-32 at around £130. Don't spend a lot on a Chinese scope - it won't be any better than a Fox.
If you want to spend more, it's a biggish jump to the non-Chinese stuff - very little in the £500 range. The cheaper Vortex are made in the Philippines and generally only go to 25 power - which is fine out to 600 yards.
Maybe look at 8-32 Sightron at around £950 - or plenty of secondhand Sightrons for around £650 range.
If you want to go even better, then you are into Nightforce, March, Schmidt & Bender etc.

Personally, I'd start with the Fox. When you've been shooting for 12 months and seen what others use you'll be better placed to decide what you really want.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
If you want cheap (but decent) Chinese - go for a Fox Firearms 8-32 at around £130. Don't spend a lot on a Chinese scope - it won't be any better than a Fox.
If you want to spend more, it's a biggish jump to the non-Chinese stuff - very little in the £500 range. The cheaper Vortex are made in the Philippines and generally only go to 25 power - which is fine out to 600 yards.
Many of the Vortex scope range are made in China.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Matt101
Home club or Range: Kingsbury

#7 Post by Matt101 »

Forgot to add it's on an MOD range so prone generally. Either Bipod or bag rested. Thanks chaps. Plenty of food for thought
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#8 Post by Dellboy »

bought a hawk ED which manages well out to 1200
https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/sidewinder-e ... 0-tmx.html
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.