Ruger Precision first impressions

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: Ruger Precision first impressions

#51 Post by Geek »

Ovenpaa wrote:I know this is lightly off topic however... Are there any differences between the butt stock on original and later RPR, or in other words are all parts interchangeable.
David, I have replied to Christel's PM and awaiting a response.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#52 Post by Ovenpaa »

I think she is waiting for a reply on here regarding differences between the models before she replies :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tony213
Home club or Range: Derby Rifle and pistol club, Offas Dyke Rifle Club

#53 Post by tony213 »

Alpha1 wrote:Believe it or not, I have had it for weeks now and still have nowhere to shoot it. It's the 6.5 Creedmoor version. I thought Ok let's get it out of the cabinet and see if I can remember what it looks like.
So I did I then retrieved the bolt from the bolt cabinet and attempted to fit it in the gun. That did not work it would not go into battery I eventually worked out that the bolt was in the wrong orientation so I attempted to turn the aluminium gubbings at the rear of the bolt to line it up correctly. The aluminium shroud on the rear of the bolt ended up on the floor. This allowed me to be able to see the firing pin mechanism it looks cheap and nasty to me. I eventually got it back together but not without a struggle.
Im not impressed with the folding stock. It makes it difficult to work on the rifle.
I fitted a scope and tried it for cheek weld not as comfortable as a conventional rifle stock in my opinion. I can not see jack s-it through the scope am I right in thinking it has an angle built-in I set the scope for 200 yards and looked through it at the fields behind my house and could see nothing. but then I know diddly swat about scopes so I have no idea.
I'm thinking a P14 a Mosin Nagant and a couple of quality bullet moulds might be a good swap.
interesting - i have one in .223/5.56m bought it from a friend of mine who was a dealer until retired recently and had to wait for it ! find it very accurate - but the stock not impressed one bit seems flimsy but then probably because i am used to AI'S . Wondering if someone could recommend an alternative stock to replace the original one.
Alpha1

#54 Post by Alpha1 »

Since I bought it it has had very little use. I prefer to shoot my Steyr SSG in .308. I really don,t like the stock at all.
Whizzbang

#55 Post by Whizzbang »

The stock seems to be a marmite issue. I find it fine, with plenty of adjustment (the cheek piece is not just up and down) but others have hated it. There are loads of after market options, of course, though I can’t recommend one in particular as I haven’t changed mine. I have two types of MDT stocks and a Magpul UBR on other rifles and these work well for me and seem to be more universally liked by others.

It’s interesting to hear that you find the folding stock a hindrance for working on the rifle; I like the ease of access it gives for cleaning. No awkward angles or interference from the cheek piece on a normal scoped-rifle stock, just a single button push and you can even lock it back out of the way.

From what you’ve said, it might simply not be the rifle for you, though I am sure some stock adjustment (or even replacement) and correct scope positioning (rather like a flat-top AR you might need quite high, forward/cantilever mounts) would solve the problems you describe with the scope (unless there is something wrong with the scope.)

It may be that this rifle is an answer to a question you aren’t asking?

When released, it broke new ground as it provided an affordable, off-the-shelf factory option with the accuracy, multi-mag compatibility and customisability for competing in Precision Rifle events and similar. This included 5R rifling, fast-twist threaded barrels, 20MOA rail, in-line recoil path, 3-lug bolt, easy rebarrel, adjustable trigger, etc. No wonder Sabatti, Tikka, Remington and the rest rushed to get an equivalent model out there! For its intended purpose, it seems like great value when you work out what you would have had to spend on a custom build or an AI AW, AX etc. for example.

Unfortunately, soon after its release the price rose considerably, so it’s not quite the bargain it once was.

If it’s not for you, I’m sure you’ll have no difficulty selling it, especially in 6.5Creedmoor.
Whizzbang

#56 Post by Whizzbang »

Strangely, my main gripe was that I could not adjust the (otherwise very good) trigger of my 308Win RPR to be heavy enough for the 4.5lb required for Service Optic in CSR, so I had to shoot the Imperial in Practical Optic. The trigger can certainly be adjusted light enough for my preferred uses but could not reach the heavier end of its advertised range.adjust,ent nice and easy: no disassembly needed and the Allen key is stored inside the bolt shroud.

Final point about the trigger: I had to do a lot of dry-firing while standing unsupported to get over a difficulty I had with 100m standing and standing/squatting snaps (due, I realised, to the lightly sprung safety-blade down the middle of the trigger.)
Alpha1

#57 Post by Alpha1 »

I had it out today the stock overall length thingy kept coming loose so I had to keep adjusting the stock length and cheek weld. I finally managed to shoot a group that was quite impressive its not very often I have to use one patch to cover a five shot group. I shot a lot of very small groups all be it at 100 yards. But I still do not like the stock. So its back in the cabinet it goes although saying that I let one of the guys shoot it and he would quite happily take the whole thing off my hands. So we will see.
In conclusion the 6.5 Creedmoor is one very accurate round no doubt about that.