Ruger Precision first impressions

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

simong
Home club or Range: Saxon

Re: Ruger Precision first impressions

#41 Post by simong »

Morning Peeps,

I've shot my 6.5 RPR a couple of times ( mainly at 100 yds but also at 300 once on Century) and rather like it.
Ammo wise, I've tried 140g Hornady Match, Sako 140 and experimented with hand loads.
I've found that Reloder 16 works well ( better than the expensive Hornady stuff :good: )
The only issue that I have had is when fitted a Timney Trigger. The videos make it look like a 3 min job!
Actually fitting the trigger is an absolute doddle, refitting the lower however is not ****
The safety selector will not fit into the trigger ( being wise after the event, I looked on 'tinternet and found that other people have had the same problem!)

I tried "polishing" the central area of the selector but have been a bit too energetic, so I'm now looking for an aftermarket selector.

Lesson learnt , take trigger and gun to a less " enthusiastic" gun plumber!

Best, the incompetent Greek
Suffolk champion...50 mtr precision flinching champion

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#42 Post by Alpha1 »

I spent this afternoon on a 100 yard zeroing range. I used the black patches you normally use to patch targets with.
I stuck four up one in each corner. I first used some Winchester hunting ammo I bought for the cases. It was not good, to say the least. I then switched to hand loads using 139g Scenars and Vitavouri N150.
I spent the rest of the afternoon annihilating the black dots. Very impressive and not a lot of recoil compared to my 308. The only upset was a face full of dirt on the first two shots. When I looked the nuzzle brake had not been tightened up and the ports were pointing down over so the blast went downward instead of sideways. Once I snugged it up we were good to go.
Alpha1

#43 Post by Alpha1 »

Muzzle break not nuzzle break. lol
BamBam

#44 Post by BamBam »

Alpha1 wrote:Muzzle break not nuzzle break. lol
troutslapping
Attachments
zsbdfNq.jpg
simong

#45 Post by simong »

Morning Peeps,

I've received a Jard Trigger from Black Rifle ( very fast delivery and friendly advice:-). Trigger dropped in (about 2 mins!) together with a new safety selector which literally dropped in shakeshout
Ruger now ready for releasing of canned bangs back into the wild!
I don't understand why the Timney unit would not accept either the original or the new selector ?
Anyhow, now very happy Greek

Best
The Greek

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
Alpha1

#46 Post by Alpha1 »

What was the problem with the stock trigger. ?
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#47 Post by Geek »

[quote="Alpha1"]I spent this afternoon on a 100 yard zeroing range. I used the black patches you normally use to patch targets with.
I stuck four up one in each corner. I first used some Winchester hunting ammo I bought for the cases. It was not good, to say the least. I then switched to hand loads using 139g Scenars and Vitavouri N150.

What load are you using?

I am using Lapua 139 Scenar and VihtaVuori N160 (41.5) and achieving an average 2614 ft/s. I was advised N160 for 139's and N150 for 123's.

My son managed a 5 shot group of 102mm at 600 yards recently using the 6.5CM Ruger PR, off a bipod with the above load in poor weather conditions (wind and rain), not too bad (factory class, benchrest). Therefore, always looking to tweak the load development.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
The Gun Pimp

#48 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Geek wrote:
My son managed a 5 shot group of 102mm at 600 yards recently using the 6.5CM Ruger PR, off a bipod with the above load in poor weather conditions (wind and rain), not too bad (factory class, benchrest). Therefore, always looking to tweak the load development.
Load tweaking? That was a stunning group from Sean - shot in competition, in appalling weather. You can't really expect any more from a factory rifle.
simong

#49 Post by simong »

Morning Peeps,

I just wanted a crisper lighter trigger.
The new selector that I got still wouldn't fit the Timney unit, but it slipped straight into the Jard trigger.
The Jard unit is a 20 oz single stage that breaks very clean.
Unfortunately, I won't be in a position to shoot it for the next couple of weeks.

Best
the greek

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#50 Post by Ovenpaa »

I know this is lightly off topic however... Are there any differences between the butt stock on original and later RPR, or in other words are all parts interchangeable.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal