.308 calibre Next purchase. May be

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

.308 calibre Next purchase. May be

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I quite like the Remington in .308 I'm thinking a replacement for my Steyr SSG 69.
Anyone had any experience with the Remington any good/bad points. I like the way the bolt is on this rifle has opposed to the Ruger folding stock that I don't like.
190726142658026-1-680x410-c.jpg
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

Re: .308 calibre Next purchase. May be

#2 Post by Lancs Lad »

I guess it depends just how deep your pockets are but if I was in the market for a .308 chassis type rifle, I'd probably go with the Tikka T3x TAC A1 with the 24 inch barrel. A chap at our club has one and I am very impressed with the way it is put together and the way it shoots.
Another lad has an RPR in .308 Win and on putting them both together for a comparison, the general concensus was that the Tikka was a clear winner although both rifles have their pros and cons.
Saying that, if the Remington fits both your needs and budget, then go for it. I'd still try and handle one of these Tikkas before you commit to purchase though.

:flag13: LL
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

As said, depends what you're looking for. The TacA1 is really nice (as you've seen!).

For my son I bought one of the Sabatti Urban Scouts, 20" barrel, adjustable LOP and cheek rest.
It's not as fancy as the TacA1 and needs a better magazine (supplied Poly mag is cr@p, same as the MDT, doesn't hold 10 rounds etc.) but it costs about £1,000 less! Livens have them for £750.

Only shot it a couple of times but no complaints with it at all.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes the TAC A1 is a nice job and shoots really well. I didn't realize the Remington only has a 20" barrel. I'm thinking I may as well spend £1200 on a scope and stick it on the SSG 69 and play with that. I can probably sell the two Khales ZF scopes I have and realize enough money to go a long way towards paying for a new scope.

teanews hmm whats next. Need to think this through.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#5 Post by Lancs Lad »

Alpha1 wrote:Yes the TAC A1 is a nice job and shoots really well. I didn't realize the Remington only has a 20" barrel. I'm thinking I may as well spend £1200 on a scope and stick it on the SSG 69 and play with that. I can probably sell the two Khales ZF scopes I have and realize enough money to go a long way towards paying for a new scope.

teanews hmm whats next. Need to think this through.

Good call!

The SSG 69 is a very hard act to follow. I have the SSG 04 in 308Win and I am very pleased with it.

:flag13: LL
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

It seems wrong to me to break the SSG from the original 'scope and it is an 800m rifle at best so why not stop with what was designed for it?

Magnification is not the be all and end all. I will shoot rabbits out to 850-900 metres with my AI and a 16x PMII and OK I might not get them every shot however I am shooting across and down a valley and without the benefit of white backing sheets and wind flags.

Shoot the rifle as it was intended.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

I have a Remington SPS Tactical, and it is a good starting point - after changing the trigger and reinforcing the stock so it doesn't flex up and contact the barrel when shooting off a bipod, it does the job. I will change the action out into a chassis next year. There are so many after-market options for the Remington 700 and that's why I say it is a really good starting point.

Remington has had some quality control issues in recent years but I think they may have moved past them.

Have you considered Bergara? Their B14 HMR in .308 might also be a good choice. Is a close copy of the basic Remington 700 action style, and uses all the same accessories, so has all the advantages of that action. If I had it to do over, I would go for the slightly up-market version with the barrel nut to make the eventual barrel changes easier.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes the Bergaras are a nice bit of kit I have a shooting buddy who has a couple of them.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#9 Post by Daryll »

DaveB wrote:I have a Remington SPS Tactical, and it is a good starting point - after changing the trigger and reinforcing the stock so it doesn't flex up and contact the barrel when shooting off a bipod, it does the job. I will change the action out into a chassis next year. There are so many after-market options for the Remington 700 and that's why I say it is a really good starting point.

Remington has had some quality control issues in recent years but I think they may have moved past them.

Yes, I think I had one of those in .223.... Bought brand new, I found the stock flexed, so bought a very stiff (and heavy!) Choate "Ultimate sniper" stock, but still couldn't get it to group well, with factory, or handloads.
Eventually put it in p/x for another rifle.

I asked the gun dealer if he ever sold it, and he said yes, but he had to recrown it to get it to group...
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I will give them a miss then. Looks like its a tidy up of the Steyr SSG and refit the Khales ZF95 6x42 scope I guess and re-zero. I also have a Khales ZF84 6X42 sitting on my desk doing nothing I need to find a gun for.
I have .308 and 6.5 calibrated turret inserts for that one. For 168g .308 and 120g 6.5. It's currently fitted with the 6.5. I scrapped the rifle and kept the scope.