Gallery rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Gallery rifle

#1 Post by shugie »

For the moment I've given up on Lantac and their 9ine, it's some time off at the least.

So I want to replace my Rossi with something a bit more reliable for club gallery rifle competitions, the Rossi is, despite my working it over for a very smooth action, just not consistently reliable enough for when dropping a single shot screws the score completely. It will usually jam or misfeed about one in thirty, not bad, but not good enough, and I've tried several different types of ammunition.

And I want a scope, I know that you can have a scout scope, but that's not what I want. So, recommendations please for a 38/357 lever action, the Marlin 1894 CSBL looks good on paper, but is it as reliable as claimed, for it is certainly not cheap.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

Re: Gallery rifle

#2 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Get your self a Marlin .44.....might have to pay a bit more but if you buy right you will not loose on it and have lots of fun.
Go for a JM marked one 2002 or older you won’t regret it.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#3 Post by shugie »

Keithkilvo1 wrote:Get your self a Marlin .44.....might have to pay a bit more but if you buy right you will not loose on it and have lots of fun.
Go for a JM marked one 2002 or older you won’t regret it.
Prefer 38, can go one-for-one variation, have dies and lots of bullet heads. Are the older ones still ok?
Careful now/that sort of thing
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#4 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Older ones are better built, try for one that is marked for .357/.38 it gives you more options.
Older ones are generally smoother as they have been used and all the rough edges have been smoothed out.
Some swear by ballard rifling over microgrooved but I have both and find no difference in accuracy.
Spares are readily available and easy to fit.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

I have a Marlin .38/.357 and I would recommend getting AA Gunsmiths to fettle it, I am not disappointed with what they did to mine, excellent services and the action is much smoother.

http://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk/
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S