Russian sniper rifle.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Russian sniper rifle.

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

Hunterboy wrote:I thought part of the idea was the Russian special forces would be behind enemy lines and reliant on using NATO ammo anyway. A bit like their aircraft having NATO refuelling points fitted as well as Warsaw Pact.
No, it's because units like the GRU have more autonomy on what equipment and weapons they can use.

There isn't a "Warsaw Pact" probe and drogue refuelling system as such as Soviet Engineers reverse-engineered the NATO standard probe and drogue so they have essentially the same system as NATO aircraft anyway.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Hunterboy

#12 Post by Hunterboy »

I was thinking more of the ground refuelling points on Soviet aircraft. Their plan was supposedly to fight in NATO territory, hence have the ability to use NATO fuelling points. I’d heard the Spetnaz did the same thing. Thanks for clearing it up ..
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

snayperskaya wrote:
No, it's because units like the GRU have more autonomy on what equipment and weapons they can use.

Like, Novichok....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

Sim G wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:

Like, Novichok....
teanews

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

Hunterboy wrote:I was thinking more of the ground refuelling points on Soviet aircraft. Their plan was supposedly to fight in NATO territory, hence have the ability to use NATO fuelling points. I’d heard the Spetnaz did the same thing. Thanks for clearing it up ..
That's not one I've heard of.Had there been a major conflict between the USSR/Russia and NATO I would imagine that NATO airbases would have been hit hard so the ability to use NATO fuelling points was probably low on their priorities.

Most Spetsnaz (which is actually the umbrella term for many speciall purpose Russian units) troops continue to use AK variants such as the 74m and 105 etc that are still chambered in 5.45x39.As a sidenote, despite a NATO member Bulgaria still issues a number of small arms to its armed forces that are still chambered in "Russian" calibres.

When you think about it when the SAS were behind enemy lines in Iraq they still used weapons chambered in NATO calibres, despite the Iraqi forces using predominantly Russian calibre weapons.