Underlevers

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Underlevers

#21 Post by Sim G »

mag41uk wrote: I will probably sell my current 1894 Marlin - in 41 mag -

Which model? Not an 1894 PG is it.....?!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#22 Post by mag41uk »

Sim G wrote:
mag41uk wrote: I will probably sell my current 1894 Marlin - in 41 mag -

Which model? Not an 1894 PG is it.....?!!
Its the FG. 20 inch barrel 1 in 20 twist.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Sim G »

Very nice! And as rare as Unicorn poop.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
drone

#24 Post by drone »

I've had just half a dozen lever guns, including 2 marlins which I didn't like, 3 winchesters, 357, 30/30 and 45/70 and a rossi r92. I still have the win 94 30/30 and the rossi, for my money the rossi is hard to beat, it's also built so much stronger than the other 92 wannabees. I have a slot for a 450 marlin and I'm mithering about pressing the button on a win 94 take down that is new but I just hate giving more than a couple of hundred quid for a gun, decisions, decision.
Graham M

#25 Post by Graham M »

I'd swap my Winchester 94 for a Marlin any day of the week. I have a Marlin 39a which is now 45 years old and still functions flawlessly. bangbang
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
drone

#26 Post by drone »

My 94 30/30 is now 65 years of age, slick as a ball bearing in oil and functions 100% now. I'm nearly 80 years of age and every pound I have to carry around is very noticeable. Marlins are at least 1 pound heavier which means a lot to me, it may be better value per pound but after several hours wandering through woodland I'd still prefer my 94's mass.
I don't say they are better or worse, I just prefer it.
You pays your money and you takes your choices.
FWIW I don't want a scope on it, most of the time I make do with a williams peepsight and, on the very odd limited occasions, when I travel for driven hunting I stick my vortex viper red dot on the barrel.
Don't get me wrong, there are times when I'd prefer some extra weight to soak up the recoil especially when I'm using hard cast 195 grn flat point at nearly 2000 fps, but I can live with that as long as I don't get to shoot too many rounds per day.
rufrdr

#27 Post by rufrdr »

I discovered by accident when I was replacing the buckhorn rear sight on my Rossi 92 .357 that the barrel under the rear sight is drilled and tapped for a scope mount rail. I put a red dot sight on it straightaway. and now these old eyes can make this little shooter fun to use again! It looks strange having the red dot on the barrel, but it sure helps for me. The Rossi may not be as refined as an original 92 or the current production from Winchester, but for the money, it is a great value. Very reliable and durable.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
drone

#28 Post by drone »

I just added a 308 browning BLR to my collection, it's 40 years of age, was cheap as chips (one of them is knocked out of the stock/action wood joint) all I can say is WOW, the action is so quick and smooth you can see where Henry got their inspiration when they designed the long ranger.
TBH I wasn't expecting much but the bore is like a mirror from chamber to crown, the only problem, if indeed it is one, is the chamber is on the tight side of the specification and cases previously used in my ruger #1 that have only ever been necksized require a full length resizing, in their neck sized state they hang up with about 10 -15 mm sticking out whereas factory and full length resized ammo drop straight in.
I now also have the opportunity to acquire a savage mod 99 just over 100 years of age but for some reason am mithering significantly, probably because it's in savage 22 hi power which is always going to be a pain to get ammo supplies for.
For pistol calibres I still maintain the rossi is the dogs danglies.
This is a group I shot with the rossi yesterday, with silvalub RN 158 grn bullets at about 1000 fps, I shot the 5 on the uppermost paper( which was the luck of the draw xmas shoot - scores on the rear of the sheet, got me second place in my squad against a bull barrel 10/22!!! ) FWIW it's the best group I've ever made with that gun, quite a pleasant surprise except my son shoots it even better.
rossi xmas group.jpg
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#29 Post by Vossie »

I am also a fan of the Uberti replicas, I have an 1866 which the wife loves. I adore my 1860 Henry 44-40 I now solely shoot as black powder and its an amazing experience.
Friend has a Marlin The Model 1984 CSBL in 38/357 which is a great rifle in these calibres, it does prefer the 357. He is thinking of selling as wants a 45-70 1886, I converted him to a more traditional look.
drone

#30 Post by drone »

Missed the opportunity to add the following images, modified the sights on the rossi to a marbles bullseye rear and a truglo front, and also an image of the browning with a redfield scope on, it came with a real cheap scope, with a bona fide Browning mount rail, I await delivery of a pair of Weaver picatinny mounts to suit the 30mm 1x4 IR scope I bought for it.
rossi sights.jpg
blr.jpg
The recoil pad is a wonder, tames the recoil significantly - all for a tenner delivered from amazon prime, bought two more one for the 30/30 to reduce the recoil impact and one for my game gun to lengthen the pull.