Underlevers

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Lampuki

Underlevers

#1 Post by Lampuki »

I’m in the market for a 38/357 Underlever and wondered what to go for?

I will probably go for a new one and quite like the look of The Henry Big Boy but I’m not too sure on the loading process?

It will be for general range work not serious competition shooting.

Any thoughts.

Cheers
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Underlevers

#2 Post by GeeRam »

The Henry's are very slick, and well made etc., and we have two club members with them......who are very pleased with them.

For me though, I really dislike the lack of a traditional side loading gate, and the end tube loading for me, is not something I could live with.
They are also quite hefty.

I've got a 1873 Uberti and its excellent. I do like the Chiappa as well, which seem nicely put together from one of our club members who has one.

We have pretty the whole range of makers in our small club from those that own underlevers.

3 x Marlins (plus Marlin as club gun)
2 x Winchester
2 x Henry
1 x Rossi
1 x Uberti
1 x Chiappa
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

The Henry Big Boy is a modern design not a copy of the original Winchester Henry but it loads the same with the loading port being under the muzzle.

They brought last year, I think, a version with a receiver loading port a la the King patent found on 1886's and all Winchesters thereafter and used by most other underlever makers.

I don't mind the under muzzle loading port an issue at all as the receiver ports only benefit is if you want to do rapid reloads, or want to shoot and re-load from cover.

The modern Henry's are good and slick working rifles but personally I prefer the Uberti copies of the original, I have an 1860 Henry in 44-40, an 1866 "Yellowboy" in 32-20 and an 1873 in 38-40 preferring the older and more contemporary cartridges although the Henry's original round was a rim fire hence the Uberti copies receiver being a tad longer than the original to accommodate more modern rounds.

The modern Henry company also do a copy of the original Henry but that is seriously silly money.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

The Henry's are lovely, high quality guns. But for me, they just don't look "right". Kind of reminiscent of when cheap double action revolvers tried to emulate S&Ws...

They do offer a side gate loading option now, but not on all models. Likewise, they have some really interesting caliber choices such as .327 Federal and .41 mag, but unlikely to see many of those.

Uberti if you want traditional, Marlin if you want a "modern" alternative.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote: They do offer a side gate loading option now, but not on all models.
Yep, only with 'rifle' calibre's, not 'pistol' calibre's, so no side loading option with .38/357.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#6 Post by Lever357 »

A big question you need to ask yourself is: do you want to be able to fit a scope???
Some lever actions such as the Uberti top eject which prevents fitting a scope.
I have used a freinds Henrys = very nice, good build quality, but I am not a fan of the loading system and the rifles to me just dont look right.
Rossi's are fine if a little agricultural

I have a Winchester 94AE(angle eject) so you can fit a scope - not the fastest to cycle and surprising amount of the inards come out when you cycle the lever
I also have a Uberti 1873 which is gorgeous and very slick

All depends what youre after but they are all fun!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#7 Post by Bovril »

I was using a Marlin 1894 .44 on Wednesday and really enjoyed it. Side loading gate.
It is on my list of possible purchases, but like the OP I would be going for .357.
jimbo303

#8 Post by jimbo303 »

Just over a Year into ownership of an Uberti 1873 in 38/357 and loving it - a truly super rifle.
I fired a Marlin (slickedup one) and a Henry prior to opting for the Uberti. Personally I was not interested in scoping any purchase as I would only be shooting iron sights.

I managed to handle all 3 as well as a Rossi and opted for the Uberti for looks, feel and balance - I went for the 20" Octagonal.

Its a personal choice in my view - as all owners love their particular ones for specific reasons.

Its the only new firearm I have ever purchased and has a spcial place in my Cabinet !!

Let us know what you decide upon great film below (hope link works) on the manufacturing of the Uberti 1873:

https://www.aparat.com/v/17Ohv/How_It%2 ... berti_1873

Enjoy
J
Lampuki

#9 Post by Lampuki »

Thanks for the help so far folks. Some great advice.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

cheap range fun - rossi or mirouku winchester
lovely slick quick thing - short stroked uberti 1873
scoped - marlin or henry
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns