Underlevers

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Underlevers

#11 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote:cheap range fun - rossi or mirouku winchester
lovely slick quick thing - short stroked uberti 1873
scoped - marlin or henry
Or Chiappa Alaskan Takedown, as Chiappa have pre-drilled the receiver/barrel top for rail mount.
Lampuki

#12 Post by Lampuki »

I had a play with a Henry Big Boy and an R92 Rossi today and must say I liked the Rossi better. It was lighter (obviously as the Henry had an octagonal barrel) but felt smoother.

I see mixed reviews online but wondered if any of you out there with one wished you had gone for a different rifle?

I like the look of the Uberti but haven't held one however it comes with a heftier price tag and I have a few slots on my licence to fill and am not sure the extra expenditure will bring an suitable uplift in pleasure?
GeeRam

#13 Post by GeeRam »

Lampuki wrote:I had a play with a Henry Big Boy and an R92 Rossi today and must say I liked the Rossi better. It was lighter (obviously as the Henry had an octagonal barrel) but felt smoother.

I see mixed reviews online but wondered if any of you out there with one wished you had gone for a different rifle?

I like the look of the Uberti but haven't held one however it comes with a heftier price tag and I have a few slots on my licence to fill and am not sure the extra expenditure will bring an suitable uplift in pleasure?
I've shot a few Rossi's, my mate's wife has a 20" octagonal barrel Rossi in .357, which has a bit more heft of course, and I've spent a day on range in the USA with a 16" round barrel Trapper model in .45LC, and I have to say, if it wasn't for specifically wanting a 1873 action, I would have been very tempted by a 16" round barrel Rossi in .357 for non-competitive club shooting.
They are very good value for the money.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

i have a 16" roundbarrel rossi in 44mag as my backup gun. once worn in (sit cycling it when watching tv one night) no regrets. it's nice and light, functions well. very pointable.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#15 Post by mag41uk »

Quite like the look of the Rossi 92 in 454 casull !
Their circuit judge has a certain something too.
Who are the importers?
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#16 Post by GlockworkOrange »

I don't believe the 454 ever made it over here, never seen one for sale. The Circuit Judge isn't imported (I asked Highlands Outdoors about getting one in .44 Mag) but a few have come in as one-offs.

As far as lever actions go, I don't like the Henrys although that's more an aesthetic issue than anything else, they seem to shoot fairly well but I just hate the way they look. Americans absolutely love them which makes me like them even less. I've had Rossis which are decent guns, great on a budget of course and the actions are strong (like all 92s). I currently have a Chiappa '92 and prefer it to the Rossi but they tend to cost more, although I got my trapper for £400 new, so you can find them cheaper than new Rossis. I think Chiappa make the best '92 overall personally, and they make a variety of different models, modern and traditional. Marlins are good guns but never really excited me all that much, certainly practical with excellent aftermarket support though. They make a lot of sense although the prices on new ones are getting silly (£1700 for an 1894 SBL?!) The newer Miroku Winchesters are nicely made, very smooth, a little pricey though perhaps and the additional safeties are a shame. If you want a replica of a toggle-link gun, I say get an Uberti. Henry, 1866, 1873, they're all great. Can be a bit expensive new (similar to the Miroku) but they're gorgeous and more true to the originals than the new Winchesters. In conclusion, all my opinion of course,

Budget but dependable John-Wayne-style fun - Rossi
Nicest 1892 Replica - Chiappa
Tackiest - Henry
Most customisable - Marlin
Best old west replicas - Uberti
GeeRam

#17 Post by GeeRam »

GlockworkOrange wrote:In conclusion, all my opinion of course,

Budget but dependable John-Wayne-style fun - Rossi
Nicest 1892 Replica - Chiappa
Tackiest - Henry
Most customisable - Marlin
Best old west replicas - Uberti
I'd go along with that assessment cheers
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

We have two Rossi .357s as club guns. One 20” stainless and 16” blue. The Blue I bought last year as a back up to the stainless, just in case.

The reason was that we have had the stainless Rossi for getting on for 7 years. We have put almost 48000 rounds through it. I know this to be the case as I hold the club FAC. We don’t sell ammunition to club members per se, we only supply probationers. This policy came about when we hit shortages and members with FACs cleaned the club out! I have bought over 50K .38 Magtech over this period. I’m guessing 2K for the blued because we havent had it long And there’s been no shooting!

Apart from general clean, we have never replaced a part on it, honest!

Now I am a Marlin whore. At its height, I had 24 in my collection. This is now thinned down to 17. I wouldn’t buy a new Remington made one. Not because they’re still having trouble, but because the importers are really taking the pi$$ with pricing.

I’ve had Winchester’s, original preWW1, and I’ve had Ubertis. Got still the nicest model as far as I’m concerned, an 1873 Special Sporting with 20” barrel, in .44-40. But, if a Rossi in .357, stainless, 20” octagonal cake along, I would give that cabinet space! (Have to be pre safety though)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#19 Post by GordonBennett »

The new Henry Model X has a side loading gate and comes in pistol calibres. Certainly not traditional looking! Seems to be taking a while to arrive in UK though.

https://www.vikingshoot.com/products/ri ... y-x-model/
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#20 Post by mag41uk »

I have had several 1894 "pre" Marlins as I used to do the GR circuit in years gone by.
I started out with a really nice Winchester Trails End in 44 which was very accurate.
I sold that and went the Marlin route as it was the way. I think the Winchester was more accurate imho.
I also had a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy in 45 colt back in the heady days of cowboy action shooting.
Superbly well made and virtually a copy of the real thing. Again very accurate.
That Rossi in 454 has me dribbling - as does the Big Horn Armory Model 90A Carbine in 454! ($3k)
I will probably sell my current 1894 Marlin - in 41 mag - and look at a Uberti 1873 in 38/40 or 44 special.
Or the 16inch Rossi in 45 colt or take a look at the Chiappa range .............