IBUS/Bushmaster M17S bullpup

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

IBUS/Bushmaster M17S bullpup

#1 Post by poll007 »

I recently picked up a M17s at auction and thought id show it off a bit as they not particularly common these days.

I have been looking for one of these for a few years-generally the ones that come up are either very expensive (to someone as frugal as me) or they have been modified a fair amount.-This example seems to be mostly original the only changes being the threaded barrel and bolted on charging handle upgrade which is almost a must as it is straight pull.

The gun is in essence an bullpup version of the AR-18 much like the SA80 series of rifles and is probably the closest you can get in the UK to an L85 as a civilian due to the similar weight and lengths. funnily enough mine came with a HK L85 mag to boot.

It comes apart very easily for cleaning. simply pop the rear two captive pins and the you can pivot the upper reciever and pull out the bolt.

The internals are faily simple. there is a trigger bar connecting the trigger to the sear that runs in a groove along the left side of the reciever.

Top tip that i learned-when the receiver is open it is possible for the sear springs to fall meaning when you close up the rifle you will have a dead trigger (ask me how I know) however i couldn't find much info on this happening to others on the web so i might be an isolated case-either way ensure the springs are on top when closing the rifle as per the below .

Sadly due to lockdown I am yet to shoot this but they seem to have a decent reputation for accuracy and seem to have been popular in CSR as a poor mans AUG.

people often ask why I like Bullpups so much and i think its pretty simple-up until this year i would either get the train or use my 125cc motorcycle to go shooting so having a shorter overall lenght has always been very beneficial to me. now i have a small car-so a bullpup is still easier to fit in the boot than a traditional rifle. As an example i lined up the M17s with my Mini-14 and you can see how much of a length saving there is (the mini-14 barrel is 3" shorter so i lined them up based on the bolt face).
The downside is that the mini only weighs 3kg whilst the M17s weights 4kg but this may change if i decide to make some modifications.

Id love to see what other M17s have done with their rifles. Personally i'm considering cutting slots in the receiver to lighten to package-but if i do i will likely try to cut slots to MLOK spec in case i want to make some sort of ridiculous "tacticool" build later down the line.

I also got a moderator with it that is unmarked other than proofing marks which is about 10" long-if things go well with the rifle I might look at getting a wildcat mod to keep the OAL down.

One question i still have about the rifle is where the "IBUS" bit comes from- I always thought these were imported from america from Bushmaster- is IBUS "international bushmaster united state" or something similar?
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: IBUS/Bushmaster M17S bullpup

#2 Post by meles meles »

Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#3 Post by Plumose »

I can't see any of the pictures, it looks like they don't actually link to an image as the link as shown below.
It was linking to an an image it should end with something like ".jpg"

"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RISY69h4fWgLzIz4sl_YzYW97XDN56qhqngiEFmdC0wuYPEsWOOyVE_lFllkn1emw5VGUQdUnQ3qP5SkeRuoFb30fys0Ys_rSF2lSP35k0ytTWfgcDuwNcL_DL5NYa0CsbJEG3Z7qOsEpLFb42J9BbEDkvOMy-5Sj7GqGPzyEsPGpqFWtI1ybrOTfjWZJD-TG2jQ53ag6Mxv_1bgoqTTbV7QVcCnRRNlS5LcilJToyXjhRE6RMfrearysICOsRDuJCaT8X7j8mJYxkraaHRGJXxZvtagcOkgMh_xIspSEW5fJXly8FVHLmBG7JEh2pd6vTcm-FJsRd2V3xlbqsuw8Nnipcvtt_u5pP5m8eISH2FkJ5C693gJ6-3DHoZ7pQW4AYxALDFBMQB7cx4RZh-JaIi7JJAKBGTwf548rYhCgavGaPpwEEQJmx7HZULvuWwF1a8lstWkJmassRu7FOGi6YNYyZTCwpPL2KA1qeAvnCaySis-LLnAOpwIAdQNAgKiiKRY7JwA9kIuwd7fN_en8Lpz0xWhJsebMYSd9rPOU8UCc8VUydOqTBO-leNQuF5gaaa06RlkRx0m5vBhCzvKPlTu0k7dMvV884bHli15G4fAu8k-Vxb_8SfNu9iAmqvEDIqtzNnxmLMqG5MADwgXxTrhBO_c5UtqcDNWr-Bs00gTgz0yrSWhJeFIGbyg=w1741-h979-no?authuser=0"
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
poll007
Past Supporter

#4 Post by poll007 »

*Edit/repost to add directly upload photos

I recently picked up a M17s at auction and thought id show it off a bit as they not particularly common these days.
overall1.jpg
I have been looking for one of these for a few years-generally the ones that come up are either very expensive (to someone as frugal as me) or they have been modified a fair amount.-This example seems to be mostly original the only changes being the threaded barrel and bolted on charging handle upgrade which is almost a must as it is straight pull.

The gun is in essence an bullpup version of the AR-18 much like the SA80 series of rifles and is probably the closest you can get in the UK to an L85 as a civilian due to the similar weight and lengths. funnily enough mine came with a HK L85 mag to boot.

It comes apart very easily for cleaning. simply pop the rear two captive pins and the you can pivot the upper reciever and pull out the bolt.
pivot1.jpg
The internals are faily simple. there is a trigger bar connecting the trigger to the sear that runs in a groove along the left side of the receiver.
linkage1.jpg
Last edited by poll007 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poll007
Past Supporter

#5 Post by poll007 »

Top tip that i learned-when the receiver is open it is possible for the sear springs to fall meaning when you close up the rifle you will have a dead trigger (ask me how I know) however i couldn't find much info on this happening to others on the web so i might be an isolated case-either way ensure the springs are on top when closing the rifle as per the below .
m17s triigger springs.png
Sadly due to lockdown I am yet to shoot this but they seem to have a decent reputation for accuracy and seem to have been popular in CSR as a poor mans AUG.

people often ask why I like Bullpups so much and i think its pretty simple-up until this year i would either get the train or use my 125cc motorcycle to go shooting so having a shorter overall lenght has always been very beneficial to me. now i have a small car-so a bullpup is still easier to fit in the boot than a traditional rifle. As an example i lined up the M17s with my Mini-14 and you can see how much of a length saving there is (the mini-14 barrel is 3" shorter so i lined them up based on the bolt face).
mini14 comparison1.jpg
The downside is that the mini only weighs 3kg whilst the M17s weights 4kg but this may change if i decide to make some modifications.

Id love to see what other M17s have done with their rifles. Personally i'm considering cutting slots in the receiver to lighten to package-but if i do i will likely try to cut slots to MLOK spec in case i want to make some sort of ridiculous "tacticool" build later down the line.

I also got a moderator with it that is unmarked other than proofing marks which is about 10" long-if things go well with the rifle I might look at getting a wildcat mod to keep the OAL down.

One question i still have about the rifle is where the "IBUS" bit comes from- I always thought these were imported from america from Bushmaster- is IBUS "international bushmaster united state" or something similar?
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

IBUS - International Bull pup Utility Sporter according to http://aftermathgunclub.com/wp-content/ ... Kincel.pdf
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
poll007
Past Supporter

#7 Post by poll007 »

meles meles wrote:Useful comments here - https://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Bush ... 20M17S.pdf
Thamesvalley has been a go to for his armourer reports for several years now.
I was quite happy when i saw he did one on the M17s.
Coincidentally it turns out I have the MAS36 he did a report on a number of years back.
Sandgroper wrote:IBUS - International Bull pup Utility Sporter according to http://aftermathgunclub.com/wp-content/ ... Kincel.pdf
Thanks Sandgroper-Mystery solved. I still wonder why mine has it written on the upper yet so many others don't,
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#8 Post by BestDrugDoc »

I bought one last year.
It is totally standard as far as I can see except for the amidextrous cocking handle.
It is a fair effort to cock though.
Using a reflex moderator to keep length down.
Good to have though and and I am looking forward to shooting it again.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

The biggest problem we found with these back in the early 2000's was occasionally an ejected case would fail to clear the very wide receiver and get stuck between the working parts and the receiver wall. They were sometimes a bugger to remove and no fun in a competition.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#10 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Yes - its best if you are forceful and quick with ejection.