Straight pull AR: ergonomics?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Straight pull AR: ergonomics?

#1 Post by meles meles »

Oomans, our fancy has turned once again to a black rifle as, other than our DTA, all our other bangsticks are proper old style blued steel and wood affairs. Naturally, we believe black rifles matter too and so we're toying with the idea of a straight pull AR, particularly as we don't have a .223 / 5.56 rifle and so could remedy both omissions in our collection at once. What's the current recommendation ? How are the ergonomics on them ? Have the issues of hard primary extraction been overcome? What calibres other than .223 suit them ? We're drooling over .458 SOCOM...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

Re: Straight pull AR: ergonomics?

#2 Post by Airbrush »

Ergo's are excellent, just make sure you get a side charging handle.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#3 Post by Dellboy »

meles meles wrote:Oomans, our fancy has turned once again to a black rifle as, other than our DTA, all our other bangsticks are proper old style blued steel and wood affairs. Naturally, we believe black rifles matter too and so we're toying with the idea of a straight pull AR, particularly as we don't have a .223 / 5.56 rifle and so could remedy both omissions in our collection at once. What's the current recommendation ? How are the ergonomics on them ? Have the issues of hard primary extraction been overcome? What calibres other than .223 suit them ? We're drooling over .458 SOCOM...

Got into CSR last winter so had to get one (after borrowing one from Dan the Man ) so looked around and headed North to Dave Wylde Discused my ideas some input from Dave and built in 3 weeks plus 1 for proof ) its 223 and its the dogs danglies . Obviously other makes are available .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

Dog leg side charger, it's the best in terms of ergonomics and not much different than using a bolt action.

Hard extraction should be a thing of the past, but I've seen a few where they need a hefty pull on the handle and a disturbance of the head and body position.

Mine has a dedicated bolt carrier, with a domed carrier pin and spring assist unlocking.

You can read about it here.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

As above, a dog-leg side handle is the way to go for ergonomics and speed of use but they do ruin the looks (the upper needs to be one without the forward assist etc) and can make getting them in a case a PITA.
DVC
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#6 Post by shoppe »

this is what the previous owner fitted to mine,works perfect
Attachments
sgc.jpg
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by Webley »

https://youtu.be/HWKibT3cgmg
A video about reloading for straight pull for easier extraction if reloading is your thing.
I have an LMT in .308/7.62x51 straight pull which I am very happy with. Using GGG nato ammo it extracts easily using the charging handle one handed. With some 308 factory ammo I end up using two hands to get sticky cases out but it is one in twenty cases or so but it is not that hard to do tbh. I am hoping with some experimentation I will find a factory load it likes. I do not have the side charging handle conversion on mine but it does not have the forward assist button so could accept one.
There is an LMT 308 for sale on Ukvarminting.com below retail at the moment of you fancy one, I don't know the guy selling nor the rifle though.
Matt
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

shoppe wrote:this is what the previous owner fitted to mine,works perfect
That looks suspiciously like the desecrated remains of a Mosin Nagant bolt body.........
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

"Look tovarich, I have American rifle. Box magazine and tacticool."

"Niet, comrade, is not good. Lacks robust manual function."

* Sounds of hammering and welding *

"Now tovarich, rifle is good, da ?"
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

Don't forget 300 blackout! You can convert 223/5.56 cases to 300blk and there's plentiful supply of 30cal bullets on the market, and can be shot subsonic. Probably a cheaper alternative to 458 SOCOM.