Bloody Prejudice Drove Me To This!

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Bloody Prejudice Drove Me To This!

#1 Post by Sim G »

The overwhelming majority of my shooting is with a lever gun. Yes, I have others, but if I can choose a lever gun for that purpose, that’s what it will be. A friend joined a syndicate that has given him access to several thousand acres in Kent/Sussex. Given how jealously real estate and shooting is guarded in the the South East is why this syndicate has around a 5 year waiting list and costs four figures just to join!

He can take a guest a couple of times a year, so extended the invite to me. Been told, no military rifles, no cowboy guns, no semi auto shotguns... well, that’s the content of my cabinets. Project time!

I was in my local shop before the last lock down. When I saw on the shelf a Ruger 77 Mk2 in .30-06. Never owned the caliber and I’m a huge Ruger fan! Mauser action controlled round feed, hammer forged barrel, stainless... what’s not to like! It had a few marks and wasn’t screw cut, out the door just over 200 quid! It came in a black synthetic stock and inch Ruger rings as well!

Bloody hell does it shoot! Two consecutive 5 round groups, didn’t induce any wander as the sorter weight tube warmed up and this thing will handle 125 to 220 grain bullets!

My 40mm objective, inch Tube, high mag Leupold wouldn’t cut it and my local place took in a Nikko Sterling Diamond 2.5-10x50 with a 30mm tube. I was really impressed with the light gathering capability and an illuminated reticle for, 80 quid secondhand! A set on Warne Rings custom me another 60!

It was still a little rough though, in regards to finish. A super fine emory pad brought the finish back up and I found a genuine Ruger Walnut stock for 100 quid!

So for around 450 all in, here’s my new hunting rifle that will take anything on the European continent, except really big brown bear or monster boar of Eastern Europe. Not too shabby on a range either!

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Bloody Prejudice Drove Me To This!

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

That looks lovely, and not a bad price tag at all considering!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

That looks just a classic, classy rig. The brown bears are a little thin on the ground down here in the SE so wouldn't bee too worried but need to watch the boar.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Bloody Prejudice Drove Me To This!s.

#4 Post by Sim G »

Exactly Ste! You don’t have to drop 1500 quid plus for a decent rifle and adequate glass!

That said Ruger M77s are the U.K. shooting scene’s best kept secrets!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: Bloody Prejudice Drove Me To This!s.

#5 Post by Les »

Steel and walnut - now that's a proper rifle, and in a very useful calibre too. :good:
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#6 Post by Lever357 »

Beautiful rifle Sim, you have done a crackin job. I fired my mates .30-06 Springfield 1903 and thought, it'll be just like my 7.62!!! How wrong I was - kabooom!!!

Happy hunting.

Did I say that's a beautiful rifle!! goodjob
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Very nice.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hard to fault the M77 Mk2, they come in occasionally for very minor work and are always a pleasure to work on and shoot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Lever357 wrote:Beautiful rifle Sim, you have done a crackin job. I fired my mates .30-06 Springfield 1903 and thought, it'll be just like my 7.62!!! How wrong I was - kabooom!!!
And a 1903 has a fair bit of heft to it.....

I bought a Norwegian surrender K98k which was one of the ones converted by the Norwegian military in the early 50's to 30-06......jeeezz......in the small K98k, that had some kick.....and was quite unpleasant to shoot for more than half a dozen rounds.
Traded it in for a original 7.92x57 K98k a year later lol
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

Sim G wrote:Been told, no military rifles, no cowboy guns, no semi auto shotguns... well, that’s the content of my cabinets. Project time!
Same.

Nice rifle Sim, M77 is a class act.