What make are folks turning to for scope rings these days?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

howa1500

Re: What make are folks turning to for scope rings these day

#21 Post by howa1500 »

Ballistix wrote:Lol you’re right I guess they are fiddly to fit but it doesn’t bug me too much.

So to continue the thread theme and to expand it a little. I ordered the highest rings available from Warne but they are still around 3mm too short for my application. Looks like I need 20mm ring height. If I do indeed turn to Tier One or similar I would be straying from my steel metal rings obsession. It’s for a .308. Are aluminium rings just as ok to maintain reliable zero and not snap in half these days?

It is a for a target rifle not for dragging around hunting or across mountains on military service.

Cheers for feedback.
Aluminium are just fine matey, Tier 1 rings have a lot of meat on them anyway! They are not cheap but well worth it in my opinion.

For example, when I set up my scope using Hawke rings, every time I fastened the screws on the rings I would not maintain a level (on the bubble level). I didn't have that issue with the Tier 1, they are solid!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#22 Post by DaveB »

jcampbellsmith wrote:
Sim G wrote:Curious, why?
I don't have three hands in order to fit them. Secondly, they are very difficult to shim, unlike horizontally split rings.
Regards
JCS
Yes, those particular rings can be difficult, however only the 'Maxima' series of rings from Warne are vertically split, they have other 'families' which are more conventional. I just use those instead.
Ballistix

#23 Post by Ballistix »

Cheers all.

I went for Tier 1 in the end as the Warne rings don’t have enough height for my application. Not cheap as mentioned but seem great and the built in level helps!