Zeroing targets or BDC calculator?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Zeroing targets or BDC calculator?

#1 Post by mikygpu »

ADMINS: If the question has been answered before, please point me to right direction and move the post in the relevant section.

I am shooting too many .30cal rifles at too many distances with too many bullet head weights. Therefore I need a way to zero or to do a quick BDC calculation for zeroing the rifles without spending hours and tens of rounds in Zero range.
Is there something like that?
Or do I need to start writing my own software / excel spreadsheet?
As an exercise:
Rifles:
.30-06
.300WinMag
Distances:
1M
Heads:
155gr
168gr
175gr
180gr
190gr
200gr
220gr
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Zeroing targets or BDC calculator?

#2 Post by Mattnall »

One of the many ballistics programmes will get you close but there is no real substitute for getting on the range and shooting at the distances required.
Anything else will just be a best guess as there are too many variables from the ideal standard used in computing the results.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use the 'Military' version of the BulletFlight App which is the best I have used and that includes Litz. I also use https://www.jbmballistics.com/ for my drop sheets which I move into a spreadsheet and modify to suit my needs as they are not dependant on battery life :)

Mine are laminated and go with the rifles that count, I also have my drops written on my range finder for my 6,5x47 and 7,62x51 cartridges for when I am out with an Accuracy International. (Rabbiting)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

I created a simple spreadsheet for each of my rifles with zero range and number of minutes and clicks up or down for every range I might shoot at. they are in a folder which is permanently in my kit bag. I use them for a quick reference to set my rifle up when first arriving at the range and then adjust for the particular conditions on the day after a couple of shots.

I set the spreadsheets up using data from Strelok but have adjusted figures on there as I have shot and found different settings suit each rifle better.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#5 Post by mikygpu »

Thanks all for your recommendations.
I'll give it a try to all that have been recommended.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#6 Post by WelshShooter »

You didn't mentioned which manufacturer of bullets you use, but I've used the Lapua app to create a BDC. I use Lapua bullets so naturally it had all the bullet profile data already. It got me close enough on target at 1,000 yards with my 6.5x47 Lapua so no complaints there! These tables are only as accurate as the information you put in, and even then there can be subtle differences. As others have said, BDC tables are a great starting point but make sure you update them with the real world data once you've collected it.
mikygpu

#7 Post by mikygpu »

WelshShooter wrote:You didn't mentioned which manufacturer of bullets you use, but I've used the Lapua app to create a BDC. I use Lapua bullets so naturally it had all the bullet profile data already. It got me close enough on target at 1,000 yards with my 6.5x47 Lapua so no complaints there! These tables are only as accurate as the information you put in, and even then there can be subtle differences. As others have said, BDC tables are a great starting point but make sure you update them with the real world data once you've collected it.
Sierra Match King of course! What else? :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have tried 50x 225gr Hornady ELD-M in .300WinMag at 1000 yards.
Load data:
25x Hornady loaded with average powder weight between start and max with VV N170 from data app
25x Hornady loaded with average powder weight between start and max with N-160 from Hornady reloading manual

I have 50 Berger 220gr long range heads, I'll load them for next time at Bisley.

I am using Hornady and VV apps for my reloads.
Socrates

I am here to learn!