A Dolphin Gun or not a Dolphin Gun??? That is the Question..

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Re: A Dolphin Gun or not a Dolphin Gun??? That is the Questi

#11 Post by mikygpu »

So I am going to brand this gun:
Sportco M44 by Omark action single shot target rifle with unknown barrel chambered in .308 / 7.62x51.

I am to see if it is a .308 or a 7.62 as I had both calibers rifles and I had collected separate cases for each caliber.

Learning something new every day...
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
rox

#12 Post by rox »

mikygpu wrote:I am to see if it is a .308 or a 7.62 as I had both calibers rifles and I had collected separate cases for each caliber.
How are you planning to do that?

Does the barrel have a proof mark identifying which specification it was proved under?

Otherwise, how was it described on the previous owner's register/FAC when transferred to you?

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#13 Post by mikygpu »

rox wrote:
mikygpu wrote:I am to see if it is a .308 or a 7.62 as I had both calibers rifles and I had collected separate cases for each caliber.

Does the barrel have a proof mark identifying which specification it was proved under?

Otherwise, how was it described on the previous owner's register/FAC when transferred to you?
How do I plan to do what? Describe this rifle as unknown make barrel on a Sportco action? By doing just that: I have amended my registry as follows: A .308 / 7.62x51 Sportco action, Bolt action rifle with unknown make barrel in a tactical type chassis, SN: DG471.

It was RFD to RFD transfer so as RFD we don’t get to see the other RFD registry.
Basically it was for sale by the owner but it was already at RFD because owner had his licence suspended or revoked.
The former owner described it as Dolphin Gun when I went to get the reloading equipment and pay him for job lot, and get the “release” form to take to his RFD. If I remember right, the original post of job lot was described as Dolphin Gun. I’ll search it see if it is still up. On second the listing was just .308n custom build and that one is still up.

The whole conversation between me and the other RFD was:
“Me: Hi, I am here to collect X&Y guns. Here are my ID and my dealer certificate.
RFD: Let me see those documents. Ok, no problem. Here they are (the guns).
Me: Many thanks”
And after that we chat about their LBR’s and proofing at London Proof House, and Bisley and general dealer to dealer chitchat.

Anyway, I have cleared my confusion. I know better now.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
rox

#14 Post by rox »

mikygpu wrote:
rox wrote:
How do I plan to do what?
How are you planning to do: the line that I quoted, which "see if it is a .308 or a 7.62" with something about "cases for each caliber".

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by Pete »

I just had a flash of deja vu.......I'm pretty sure I've seen this rifle advertised and discussed on another forum, and I remember thinking the seller either didn't appear to know much about it, and was REALLY desperate to get rid...........or it was a scam.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
mikygpu

#16 Post by mikygpu »

rox wrote:
How are you planning to do: the line that I quoted, which "see if it is a .308 or a 7.62" with something about "cases for each caliber".
Sorry rox
Your quote included all my message. Sorry for confusion.
I have Norma cases marked 7.62x51. And I have Winchester cases marked .308. When I have chambered a fired .308 case in a 7.62x51 chamber, the bolt left a mark on the back of the case and the chamber left a compression mark on the neck of the case. So that will be the 1st indication to what chamber is exactly.
There is an article about the difference in chambers here: https://sofrep.com/news/whats-differenc ... not-think/
Then Go/No-Go gauges for each caliber. I don't know if they exist in this country, but in Europe exists, particularly in Ro as for a long time a 7.62x51 was forbidden but a .308 was allowed in sporting rifles.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

GO NO/GO gauges are universal they are the Industry standard and used all over the World to chamber barrels. The only difference is in what part of the World you are chambering a particular caliber.
Some gauges are Saami usually in the States and some are CIP.

What does Ro stand for.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#18 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:
What does Ro stand for.
Romania I believe
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:Thanks.
Then again it could be the small kangaroo from Winnie The Pooh.......no, wait a minute.......that would be Roo with two o’s :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!