Chamber Stubs

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Chamber Stubs

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Here in the UK a chambered and threaded barrel is a licensable item and as such needs to be kept under lock and key. This means unless I destroy barrels as I remove/replace them they need to be locked away and barrels take up space. I tend to chop the barrel through the chamber so rendering it incapable of being used in its current state, thirty seconds on the band saw and I have a handy piece of stainless and an off-cut for the scrap bin however there are occasions when the chamber end of the barrel might come in useful.

One application is confirming fit of the nose section of a new cleaning rod guide and on such occasions I could just chop the barrel just in front of the chamber. The downside is I would now have a problem as in theory I am now in possession of a chambered and threaded barrel with length less than 12 inches/300,0mm so rendering it a Section 5 component.

To prevent myself becoming eligible for a significant stretch in prison I machine the thread off, part the barrel off at the desired length and then tidy the whole thing up so it looks like these examples. Now I have a easily accessed test gauge that does not need locking away, plus if a customer has a question about a chamber and cartridge is is an easy way of showing them what things look like without resorting to bore scopes and drawings. The interesting part is just how many people spot the chamber stubs on my desk and pick them up regardless of why they are visiting us.
Stubs.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal