Pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: Pistol

#21 Post by Sixshot6 »

top wrote:Yes it is a good thing, it is a bit fiddly to use the lever its self that's all, is there an up grade for it?
You mean an enlarged lever? I think that one is the largest one, its certainly larger than most other pistols on the market Top. Just practice me thinks.
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#22 Post by DavidRees »

Depending on your shooting style, there is a different way to release the slide after inserting a magazine--simply pull back the slide a little, and let go. The slide will then go all the way forward, and the first round loaded. As Sixshot6 says, these release levers can be small, and in the old days, when semi-auto CF pistols were allowed, pulling the slide back was my preferred method of releasing it, being left-handed, and my 9mm having a slide release only on the right. The K22 has one on both sides, so I do use that more now.
Home club or Range: Staveley

#23 Post by top »

Thanks for all the help and advice, I think ive got a long way to go, but the red dot ive ordered should help a bit with the accuracy, cheers lads.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#24 Post by daman »

DavidRees wrote:The K22 is a pistol capable of extremely good accuracy.
Target.PDF
David.
David
Thanks so much for posting this. One of the big issues with our restrictive laws is that it's difficult to see what can be achieved. I was becoming complacent with trying to get '10 in the black' from my K22. You've set a great example to get me to try harder.

Cheers
Daman
thankssign
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#25 Post by Nelly2014 »

Is there any rule anywhere that says while pistol shooting you have to stand with your arm(s) stretched out in front of you?
As we are forced by nanny to have rods welded on our pistols fsr why not use it to help brace the pistol against your shoulder?
Just wondering.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#26 Post by HALODIN »

A pistol with a stock is too close to a rifle for many. There's nothing to stop you if that's what you want though.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#27 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Nelly2014 wrote:IAs we are forced by nanny to have rods welded on our pistols fsr why not use it to help brace the pistol against your shoulder?
If you're shooting in a competition or league then it may well state that the balance rod / extension can't touch the body (including the underside of the shooting arm). It did for the ones I've shot recently anyway.
jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

#28 Post by jack1 »

Target.PDF
The above was shot one-handed, at 25m, using RWS Target Rifle ammunition, and the adjustable iron sights my K22 came with.

Truthfully, I had difficulty doing better with my Walther GSP, back in the good old days.

As others have said, it takes time, and much practice, to become proficient at pistol shooting.

David.
David
Sorry to delay my reply good target I may look at the K22 especially as you say the sights were standard
Jack
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#29 Post by DavidRees »

Daman and Jack,

I'm glad you found the target informative. I hasten to add that since I don't get much practice in, I don't always shoot that well -- though my K22 does; any errors are mine.

My wife has her own K22 now, and since I had the chance to sight it in for her, I found it to be equally accurate. I did have to widen the notch on her adjustable rear-sight however, since it was far too narrow; now it matches the sights on mine.

The one complaint I'd level against the K22 is the quality of the trigger -- it's notchy, and sometimes a trifle inconsistent. Not the equivalent of the target pistols we used to own. But with some practice shooting with the K22, one learns its ways, and it becomes a pleasure to shoot. I'm glad Spring is here, and my wife and I can go down to the range and do a little friendly competition shooting together. Our son comes along too, and he uses a .177 air pistol -- the 10m comp guns are still extremely accurate at 25m. I imagine he'll want his own K22 soon -- not sure how the constabulary will view us having 3!

My wife and I shoot the ISSF pistol disciplines using our K22 pistols in the Scottish Target Shooting 25m Summer Series, held annually on the first Saturday of each month during May to September -- these events are held at the JSPC range at Colmsliehill, in the Scottish Borders. The majority use air pistols like my son, but LBPs are welcome too. Just like the good old days, really...well, almost!
jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

#30 Post by jack1 »

Target.PDF
The above was shot one-handed, at 25m, using RWS Target Rifle ammunition, and the adjustable iron sights my K22 came with.

Truthfully, I had difficulty doing better with my Walther GSP, back in the good old days.

As others have said, it takes time, and much practice, to become proficient at pistol shooting.

David.
I am really impressed with that. I had a K22 with all the 'bells and whistles' and it would not group smaller that 4 inches at 25 metres rested. Well done... Jack bangbang