Pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Home club or Range: Staveley

Pistol

#1 Post by top »

Ive just bought a K22 Pistol and its not very accurate, is there anything I can do to make it a bit more accurate ?
BamBam

Re: Pistol

#2 Post by BamBam »

practice?
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#3 Post by safetyfirst »

Have you bench tested it to eliminate the shooter?

Pistol shooting is a radically different game of chips to rifle. Take a look at some you tube pistol accuracy videos and take a look at their targets.

I certainly found it very challenging at first, also with a k22. I even put a laser on mine so I could test the accuracy off a rest and it was going through the same hole at 15yards.

Unless I was holding it, when it shot all over the shop....

My advice would be to persevere, get a good idea about what to expect from a pistol and find a way of proving the pistols accuracy, a fairly cheap bottom rail mounted laser would do the job.

Most of all have fun with it, they're great pistols. If you get frustrated with shooting it accurately, see how fast you can dump two mags onto a target without missing the paper ;)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

As SF said, pistol shooting is a different game to rifles. It's also a much more perishable skill that requires more practice to maintain a level. Couple that with rimfires generally being very picky about the ammo they prefer.

Firstly, you're about to be a gunshops night mare. Go and buy a box of every type of .22 ammo they have. (They hate this as even though they price per box, when you just want one they have to split the brick!) You also need to get yourself a rest. Improvise or one of the made ones by MTM or the likes. Each range session, just shoot one type of ammo. See how it performs rested, over 5 strings of 10, or preferably 10 of 5, to remove the error of you as much as possible. Mark and keep the targets for reference. Find the ammo that the gun likes. Buy a little more, try it again and see if the results are the same. Then get someone else to try it. Once you're settled on ammo, loose the rest and try to emulate it off hand. You will know that anything you shoot badly will then be down to you and not the gun and ammo. Conversely, already knowing your gun and ammo selection us accurate improves confidence.

But, I strongly suspect it's your skill set at the minute and not that the gun needs to be more accurate.

Good luck!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#5 Post by froggy »

I have no experience of the K22. I guess it is 22 but can you define "not accurate" pls.
- You'r grouping ok but your PoI is not you PoA ?
- How tight/wide is the grouping & at what distance ?
- The group is wide as my neighbour's wife bum ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#6 Post by HALODIN »

I had to buy a pistol scope for my .44 LBR because I was convinced the gun/ammo combo was at fault, it turned out it was me. Buy a rest like this -

sysreq
Home club or Range: CRPC

#7 Post by sysreq »

I have been shooting mine once a week for 9 months (not enough I know) and on a good day 2 handed, I can get them all in the black at 20 yards on a PL14/15.
On a really good day I start getting clusters of 3-4 shots, but, it is certainly a challenge.

Accuracy comes down to skill and expectation, what do you consider accurate?
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#8 Post by Zilberbak »

I use CCI Mini-mag, which is not the most accurate but is reliable especially if you fit the uprated spring from Scott.

I have not used mine enough but do a lot of black powder revolver competition, which tends to help for practise but eat up range time.

I have fitted a Burris Fastfire red dot via a Fab Defense Universal mount and that improved my accuracy as it gives a more consistent POA and I tend to use it two handed (as I think it should be used).

The Taurus I have is the one that I seem to have trouble with, but again BP competitions keep getting in the way.

Still think the K22 is the best fun gun though.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
Home club or Range: Staveley

#9 Post by top »

Thanks for all the tips, it looks like ive got a long way to go, ive just got a Fab Defence universal rail, and im waiting for a mini red dot sight to come, then that will make things a bit better.
What does this spring do what you was on about Zilberbak ?
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#10 Post by shugie »

It's certainly an interesting challenge, I can get reasonable results with a rifle, but my K22 is much trickier to shoot accurately. From shooting from a rest I know it's actually quite accurate, but I lack the skills to match.
Careful now/that sort of thing