Something different... Sig P226 Air Pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Something different... Sig P226 Air Pistol

#1 Post by WelshShooter »

My local shooting club is a ten minute drive from my house and is open on weekday evenings. This is great, but is limited to pistol calibres such as 357mag so no other fullbore calibres. I don't always have some ammo made up at hand so I thought I'd buy something cheap and cheerful to shoot when I don't have ammo made up.

Enter the Sig P226 in .177! I bought this through Pellpax for £120 and delivered to my door for £15. This pistol is made by Sig themselves, not Umarex etc. so it's supposed to feel just like the real pistol. Weight wise, I would agree it has some heft and probably does weigh the same (apparently guys in the US have weighed this versus a loaded P226 and it is near enough the same). The pistol came in vacuum packaging and had one magazine which is a double ended revolving clip, for want of a better word, which holds 8 pellets each for a total of 16 pellets. It will also take bb's but we cannot use these at our range due to ricochet off the back wall. The mag release button is in the correct position and works quite well (actually it springs out the mag with some force!).

The pistol takes a standard 12g CO2 cartridge in the rear of the grip which is neat, which is used to propel the pellets and also drive the blowback action. It operates in double action on the first trigger pull, so you cock the hammer and fire the pellet in one pull. During firing the pistol recocks the hammer and you can feel the trigger pull is lighter on subsequent shots.

There is a safety switch an the grip which is quite stiff. No easy switching with the tip of your thumb, you do have to push it quite hard. There is also a mock takedown lever and decocking lever which are purely for aesthetics. The ejection port has not been milled out, so it is covered.

The pistol has standard open sights with white dots to aid the shooter. It shoots a bit low so you have to aim slightly over the top (at 15 yards or so) to make a hit. Subsequent shots cool the pistol down quite a lot which is noticeable in pellet trajectory and also the force of the blowback action. I reckon I got 4 full magazines from a single cartridge, so that's around 64 shots which is pretty good considering there is a blowback action involved. My other CO2 pistol does not have a blowback action and averages 60 pellets before empty.

It was made in Japan so the build quality is very nice! All metal with plastic grips which are textured so have a bit of grip to them. For the money, I really cannot fault this nice air pistol. I was shooting this at some steel plates with another member last night and we had a great time challenging each other to some speed runs etc., you don't always need to have big expensive toys to have a good time!

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Something different... Sig P226 Air Pistol

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

That looks interesting, have you tried it at 10m and if so how as it for aim and accuracy?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

I didn't try it on paper targets, just the steel plates. We have a separate air pistol room (this is actually the prone .22 and air rifle range) although I don't really want to do that as we have some expensive electronic targets I'd rather not hit!! I'll have to see if I can stick a target on one of the steel plates next time I have a go.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#4 Post by Zilberbak »

Surprisingly it seems more accurate with BB's when I shot mine in to paper targets on my 5m outdoor range (otherwise called the decking). Good value and weighs enough to kid yourself it is the real thing. Prefer my K22 though.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

Good fun these. Mine had trouble knocking the steel jobbies down after the first few shots. That's co2 I guess.
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

I have a CZ-75, 4.5mm BB, full metal blowback, works like a single action CZ would... Minute of beer can in the back garden, MOBC.
Quite heavy on the gas, 2 mags from one cylinder. Fits a normal CZ pistol holster.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

Does anyone do a cz75 version ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

BamBam

#8 Post by BamBam »

Dellboy wrote:Does anyone do a cz75 version ?
I have this one...

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-pi ... 5-177/3232
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

How quickly do they cycle?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

Ovenpaa wrote:How quickly do they cycle?
The Sig cycles fast enough for you to shoot rapid fire. Maybe not at Jerry Miculek speeds but I think I am the limitation, not the pistol lol