Another something different.........

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Another something different.........

#1 Post by Pete »

Aeron CO2 pistol FB.jpg
DSCN5115 FB2.jpg
An Aeron BRNO B96 semi-auto match CO2 pistol.
This is great fun to shoot.........5 shots off as fast as you can pull the trigger. The action is similar to the Patriot .32 pistol. The rack of five pellets moves across one click after each shot. Of course, with the Patriot, you have to operate the action manually after each shot.
I've even shot it at 20yds, and it's surprisingly accurate despite a modest 500fps on a warm day.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: Another something different.........

#2 Post by Sixshot6 »

Pete wrote:
Aeron CO2 pistol FB.jpg
DSCN5115 FB2.jpg
An Aeron BRNO B96 semi-auto match CO2 pistol.
This is great fun to shoot.........5 shots off as fast as you can pull the trigger. The action is similar to the Patriot .32 pistol. The rack of five pellets moves across one click after each shot. Of course, with the Patriot, you have to operate the action manually after each shot.
I've even shot it at 20yds, and it's surprisingly accurate despite a modest 500fps on a warm day.

Pete
Isn't it techincally a revolving action powered by CO2?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

I used to have one of those.... you had a choice of CO2 "powerlets" or to refill using a Sodastream CO2 bottle.

Eventually sold it, as it didn't float my boat any more and I'd given up competitive UIT style shooting...

Nice pistols though...
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is this the type of air pistol that was argued as S5 quite recently?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Ovenpaa wrote:Is this the type of air pistol that was argued as S5 quite recently?
That was specifically the Steyr LP50, but they operate in the same way...
Pete
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Pete »

I've had this one for quite a few years now, and it was purchased fom Cityairweapons by mail order, so I guess not S5...........it was a year or two after the handgun ban. Part of that legislation removed the need for a license for CO2 guns as far as I can remember.

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Kungfugerbil »

^ As did the owners of Steyr LP5s and LP50s... until North Yorks Police unilaterally decided to confiscate 5 examples and state that they were probably section 5. It's something of an emerging picture, but the importers won't sell any more of them and are advising current owners not to hand them in for service or repair!

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/news/17 ... d-variants

"This is not just about Steyrs, so a decision would have to be taken as to whether this type of air pistol should remain prohibited or the law should be changed"

The distinction between this type (Aeron, Steyr) and the Umarex CO2 revolvery semi-auto-a-like type is that in the Steyr the next round is loaded by the gun once you take a shot. With the Umarex type it's only when you cock (or use the long double-action trigger pull) that the next round is loaded.

The Steyrs are currently with NABIS to see if they are classed as self-loading. The Aeron appears to be the same - i.e. the action is cycled and the next round 'chambered' without releasing the trigger pressure from the initial shot.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

I'm also on an Airgun forum that has discussed this at length....

Personally, I would argue that as Airguns are not firearms, they're not covered by any "semi auto ban"... and I'm sure there is a line in the notes that specifically excludes airguns.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Kungfugerbil »

^ You can argue it's not covered, but if it's deemed self loading it is according to the law. The law is absolutely wrong on this, but it is the law as stands. It's most likely another administrative error - the section 5 prohibition for self loading should have included an exclusion for airguns but it doesn't.

These are from the guide on firearm licensing law:

Firearm: a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged.

Lethal: The Firearms Consultative Committee in its Eleventh Annual Report and the Law Commission in its report of 16 December 2015 recommended that any barrelled weapon with a muzzle energy of 1 joule or more should be considered lethally barrelled

Prohibited under section 5: any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges (section 5(1)(ab));
Pete
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Pete »

I'd better start looking for the receipt.............

Pete