Recommend me a sight for a GSG 1911

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

jdwoodbury
Home club or Range: Stourport Pistol & Rifle Club

Recommend me a sight for a GSG 1911

#1 Post by jdwoodbury »

So I have not had much range time with the GSG, mostly as I did not have enough mags for competition shooting. With than now sorted I am on the lookout for a sight that can help me get on target quicker. I bought a cheap reflex sight off eBay but I can't get on with it, I just cant pull up the sight picture quick enough. What sort of sights would folks recommend without breaking the bank?

JD
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Re: Recommend me a sight for a GSG 1911

#2 Post by Nelly2014 »

jdwoodbury wrote:So I have not had much range time with the GSG, mostly as I did not have enough mags for competition shooting. With than now sorted I am on the lookout for a sight that can help me get on target quicker. I bought a cheap reflex sight off eBay but I can't get on with it, I just cant pull up the sight picture quick enough. What sort of sights would folks recommend without breaking the bank?

JD
It's how you mount more than sight choice imo. I was lucky enough to get a s/h Shield with integral dovetail mount for less than £150. Some people use a 'saddle' weaver mount but you need to have the tactical weaver rail under barrel or affix one yourself, hence more sight choices but ugly looking.
majordisorder

#3 Post by majordisorder »

If you want a red dot the Shield SMS or RMS, or Vortex Razor is the best solution when coupled with a slide mount (that we sell). 4 MOA or larger is the most popular dot size if you're shooting a mixture of paper and steels. If you're going steel only I'd go 4, 6 or 8 MOA, paper only 1 or 3 MOA.
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

As above, the cheapest decent quality sight that is easy to mount is the Shield with the slide mount from Blackrifle.

I've got a 3moa Burris Fastfire III on mine which I had to modify slightly to get it to fit, but as I already had the sight it made sense to use it. For practical type shooting I'd probably go for a larger dot than mine
DVC
Ben Denise

#5 Post by Ben Denise »

Apologies to the OP for the slight thread hijack, but how does the Vortex compare to the similarly priced Shield?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

IMO the Shield does not exude quality, it's made of cheap looking plastic and looks like an EBay job aesthetically. The Vortex sights are much more polished affairs but as for function they're much of a muchness imo
DVC
Ben Denise

#7 Post by Ben Denise »

Thanks for that Mark, I was leaning toward the Vortex. I have one of their scopes and really like it, and you can't beat their VIP warranty.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#8 Post by Airbrush »

Ben Denise wrote:Thanks for that Mark, I was leaning toward the Vortex. I have one of their scopes and really like it, and you can't beat their VIP warranty.
Doesn't matter what you put on it, I'll still kick your arse. shakeshout
jdwoodbury
Home club or Range: Stourport Pistol & Rifle Club

#9 Post by jdwoodbury »

This is the sight mount I have

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#10 Post by Nelly2014 »

jdwoodbury wrote:This is the sight mount I have

As I said not the most aesthetically pleasing of solutions. The slide (dovetail) mount looks better but some people think it inhibits accuracy for obvious reasons. Can't say I've noticed but then I'm not expecting tack-driver performance from it.