New Walther lbp?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst
Past Supporter

New Walther lbp?

#1 Post by safetyfirst »

gasman
Home club or Range: worcester norton

Re: New Walther lbp?

#2 Post by gasman »

several people saw it at Bisley Phoenix launch. apparently the grip is really small and most found little finger hanging off the grip, plus the10 round magazines are the skinny metal "buckmark" type and don't feed in magwell easily, so not much good for speed reloading in IPSC type matches. the hammer is internal with a "glock" type safety in trigger which so i'm told has an awful pull/feel to it.
its ok for plinking fun, but not suited for IPSC competitions was general opinion. £795 basic price.
the K22 or GSG 1911/lower mills/ivor johnson still main contenders for comps at moment.
rakirun

#3 Post by rakirun »

Just need a few more manufacturers to bring out UK legal models. If we start getting more choice hopefully the prices might drop a bit.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

You'll need a bigger UK market for that to happen.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

800 for something not as much fun as a 1911 is going to be a hard sell.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

gasman wrote:several people saw it at Bisley Phoenix launch. apparently the grip is really small and most found little finger hanging off the grip, plus the10 round magazines are the skinny metal "buckmark" type and don't feed in magwell easily, so not much good for speed reloading in IPSC type matches. the hammer is internal with a "glock" type safety in trigger which so i'm told has an awful pull/feel to it.
its ok for plinking fun, but not suited for IPSC competitions was general opinion. £795 basic price.
the K22 or GSG 1911/lower mills/ivor johnson still main contenders for comps at moment.

A couple if quotes from reviews of the PPQ in the US;

"This isn’t a smaller scale, pot metal, cheapo plinker like so many .22 pistols out there — it’s the full-size PPQ you know and love, made by Walther, with the same controls and slide length options as its centerfire brother and with a pretty darn good trigger in its own right"

"Just like we said in the 9mm’s review, it feels freaking awesome in the hand."

"Also, thanks to the .22 LR magazine being so slim but the PPQ .22’s grip being the normal width, the pistol benefits from a sweet magwell."

The only downside again with these is that in the more free parts of the world, just like the K22 or GSG, the PPQ retails for $450 or €500. It costs us double that for an extra 8 inches of barrel and a rod...

I don't think it's the concept of LBPs that has held them back in the UK, it's the price point.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
joe

#7 Post by joe »

Sim G wrote:
gasman wrote:several people saw it at Bisley Phoenix launch. apparently the grip is really small and most found little finger hanging off the grip, plus the10 round magazines are the skinny metal "buckmark" type and don't feed in magwell easily, so not much good for speed reloading in IPSC type matches. the hammer is internal with a "glock" type safety in trigger which so i'm told has an awful pull/feel to it.

A couple if quotes from reviews of the PPQ in the US;

"This isn’t a smaller scale, pot metal, cheapo plinker like so many .22 pistols out there — it’s the full-size PPQ you know and love, made by Walther, with the same controls and slide length options as its centerfire brother and with a pretty darn good trigger in its own right"

"Just like we said in the 9mm’s review, it feels freaking awesome in the hand."

"Also, thanks to the .22 LR magazine being so slim but the PPQ .22’s grip being the normal width, the pistol benefits from a sweet magwell."

The only downside again with these is that in the more free parts of the world, just like the K22 or GSG, the PPQ retails for $450 or €500. It costs us double that for an extra 8 inches of barrel and a rod...

I don't think it's the concept of LBPs that has held them back in the UK, it's the price point.

They also had the fullbore version at the show , after handling them both (.22 and 9mm ) the PPQ lbp trigger feels the same as the 9mm PPQ ! Which was surprising as the 9mm uses a precocked striker and the .22 uses a precocked internal hammer

Prob will get one just awaiting email response from walther.com asking if there is any alloy zinc used in the internals the slide is 7075 aluminum though
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

The double price has a lot to do with trying to make it worthwhile I guess. Caledonian have shifted a couple thousand k22's I think and I bet they've hardly made a dime.
MistAgain

#9 Post by MistAgain »

At least the K-22 is 100% legal .
joe

#10 Post by joe »

MistAgain wrote:At least the K-22 is 100% legal .

??