Mateba fun

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Mateba fun

#1 Post by shugie »

My trusty Mateba Grifone has been getting a bit too heavy on double action, so today I took my courage in both hands and started dismantling it in search of problems. Fortunately a nice chap on Youtube has shown how to dismantle a very similar Mateba so I know now that there is a very small grub screw in front of the trigger that is well hidden and the first thing that needs removing.

The Mateba is barkingly well made, the precision of the engineering is akin to that of a Swiss watch, I think it's even more carefully crafted than my K31. But this precision means that it is very intolerant of s***, of which there was an abundance inside due to PPU ammunition I suspect. There are a goodly number of links to turn the cylinder, but the most interesting find was the factory modification to make it UK legal. In its original from this gun had a self cocking action, the barrel and cylinder assembly slide rearwards with the recoil and that cocks the hammer, which in turn indexes the cylinder for the next shoot. The modification turned out to be very obvious, being two lumps of metal permanently affixed to prevent the slide from operating, and was not done with the care the original was built with.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/F78L3MmjREk[/youtube]

As the chap on the video says, something of a solution looking for a problem, but the engineering is delightful, and the gun is a real treat to shoot too. Although not 357 magnum, it's a bit too loud with an anti-social amount of blast. A fairly stout 38 special is spot on, although possibly not enough to operate the slide in self cocking mode.

I've shot the police pistol detail with it against 22LR semi auto and not done too badly even for triple taps, it's quite accurate. So now a lot of crud had been removed and everything carefully oiled the double action is nice and light again, and it awaits my next visit to Melville. I probably shouldn't shoot it quite so much, if one of the bits breaks it's going to require someone to fabricate a replacement at who knows what cost.
Careful now/that sort of thing
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: Mateba fun

#2 Post by froggy »

I did not even now the existence of that beast before reading your post Shugie. What does the UK compliant looks like ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#3 Post by shugie »

There are two blocks of metal, the same metal as the whole gun is made from, which are fixed to the rear of the slide and are normally hidden by the grip. Those stop the barrel sliding back under recoil to cock the hammer after each shot. But the recoil spring and rod, although no longer required, are still fitted.

And a permanent stock extension

Some of the other members of my clubs think it looks weird, but on closer inspection have been well impressed by the quality of the engineering. It's accurate, and fits me remarkably well. If I was only allowed to keep one gun, I think this might beat my Swing as the one.
Careful now/that sort of thing
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

I've missed two opportunities for owning this type of firearm, I always have my FAC in for variation because I spotted another gun and then one of these came up for sale!

It's a very interesting firearm and I'd love to have the chance of shooting one.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#5 Post by froggy »

Staaaaaaar war :good:
thanks for the pic
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
psychosomatic88
Home club or Range: Offas dyke and Glevum TSC

#6 Post by psychosomatic88 »

This one is mine, although I prefer to shoot it iron sighted.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SKQzXlyYDpY/maxresdefault.jpg
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

I had one in 44mag, just didn't like it.

I think I may have liked one in 38
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#8 Post by breacher »

I had absolutely no idea it was not a "normal" revolver action !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

there are a few about on sec1 with the self cocking feature still enabled.

I was led to believe that most also have the stock split under the cheek rest, so you can remove the shoulder stock to shoot like a standard pistol, but maintain OAL length. all the ones I've seen so far have.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#10 Post by breacher »

bradaz11 wrote:there are a few about on sec1 with the self cocking feature still enabled.

I was led to believe that most also have the stock split under the cheek rest, so you can remove the shoulder stock to shoot like a standard pistol, but maintain OAL length. all the ones I've seen so far have.
Interesting - this action really was not thought about when legislation was written.

Trying to get my head around definitions and still cannot figure out what this "should" be defined as if it works as originally designed.

With a section 1 LBR as we know it, each squeeze of the trigger discharges a round. With this one its the same technically just with a mechanical indexing of the cylinder.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire