What to expect from a club Glock

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

What to expect from a club Glock

#1 Post by Zilberbak »

As a bit of light relief from trying to get a straight pull section on to the forum I thought I would post something else.

Whilst on holiday in Austria a couple of weeks back I left my wife sunbathing at the Worthersee and as I have done for the past couple of years went to a local gun club and hired a Glock and put 100 rounds of Geco 9mm down range.

Previously I have managed to improve accuracy over the course of each session but this time felt decidedly rubbish with my performance with very little getting in the middle.

The range is 25 metres long and nothing I seemed to do in terms of getting a decent grouping seemed to work i.e. focusing on front post, making sure back sight and front post were aligned, breathing, etc.

I tried two handed, single handed and standing on my head(joke), but nothing worked.

I use a Taurus and Grand Power and prieviously a Ruger OA reasonably well here so the question is am I a crap pistol shooter or could the Glock be "shot out" in terms of the barrel as it is a fairly old club gun?

The first one that doesn't say I am a crap pistol shooter wins a coconut.

Now about that Straight Pull Section
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
tackb

Re: What to expect from a club Glock

#2 Post by tackb »

in the distant past I owned a glock 17 , it was never a tack driver like my 686 and mod 29 but would hold the centre if I did my part !

I would try a 'known' accurate gun to eliminate yourself or give yourself a baseline or get another known good shot to try the glock ?

the long trigger pull used to take some getting used to but wasn't insurmountable
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#3 Post by froggy »

Which mdl was it ?
How bad/good was it & what were your expectations ?
Could you ID a shooting pattern or you were just peppering the paper ?

Coincidently I was in France this WE & I shot my 17 (4 gen) on sunday also with Geco ammo.
I am not especially a good pistol shot & I normally only focus on/manage to keep to the black (7/8 inches) of the standard C50 French target with the odd flyer. I do however stick a yellow "post-it" 2.5x2.5 inches on the V to help focussing on aiming at the same point.
I was shooting 10 rounds mags in a "fighting/boxer stance" at slowish pace without interuption/rests.

By all means a glock is a very accurate combat pistol but it is not a match/target pistol, so maybe you are asking too much ? With my Cz P01 (semi-compact similar to a 19) or my Shadow I venture to head shots on silhouette police targets more succesfully, whereas with my SIG 226, however hard I try, I get fustrated & always want to bin the bloody Swiss thing ... Please, that is there where you do have to read : "Naaaah ... you'r super good, what about that coconut ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

I would think it may have been getting past its best... Club guns to take a hammering and Glocks are normally fairly accurate, although as has been said, they're not match pistols.

Back in the day, my G17 and G21 would consistently do 4'' groups at 25m.

Regarding the Sig 226... I had a go with a couple of them a few weeks ago while in the US, and i was quite impressed with them, although that was at the standard US shooting distance... 7-10 yds..!
Zilberbak

#5 Post by Zilberbak »

froggy wrote:Which mdl was it ?
How bad/good was it & what were your expectations ?
Could you ID a shooting pattern or you were just peppering the paper ?

Coincidently I was in France this WE & I shot my 17 (4 gen) on sunday also with Geco ammo.
I am not especially a good pistol shot & I normally only focus on/manage to keep to the black (7/8 inches) of the standard C50 French target with the odd flyer. I do however stick a yellow "post-it" 2.5x2.5 inches on the V to help focussing on aiming at the same point.
I was shooting 10 rounds mags in a "fighting/boxer stance" at slowish pace without interuption/rests.

By all means a glock is a very accurate combat pistol but it is not a match/target pistol, so maybe you are asking too much ? With my Cz P01 (semi-compact similar to a 19) or my Shadow I venture to head shots on silhouette police targets more succesfully, whereas with my SIG 226, however hard I try, I get fustrated & always want to bin the bloody Swiss thing ... Please, that is there where you do have to read : "Naaaah ... you'r super good, what about that coconut ?
Think it was a Model 17 only going by sticker but may be the club gun number attached the best 10 shot of the 100. Unable to adjust distance as set distance with motored track. May be lack of practise with the gun but as I said don't too bad with a .357 Taurus one handed or with the K22. I think I watched too many Youtube vids from the States at closer distances and expecting to get the same results at 25m.
Attachments
G2.JPG
G1.JPG
Zilberbak

froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#6 Post by froggy »

Of course it could be down to the Club pistol but most of our 17 used in classes (same as this one with longer sight radius) have also countless of thousands of rounds and they still behave.
Looking at your target, more than a "scatter around" , there is a kinda "Low" elevation pattern normally associated with anticipation flinch . As previously mentioned the glock trigger is quite specific and that flinch could be caused in the last part of the pull when your finger wants to over-run the long course ? The fact you get-on with other type of more classic triggers confort me in that idea.
If you had your own " a la maison ", dry firing balancing a coin on the end of the barrel would be a cheap way to go about it & get used to it. I am not an expect, but if a guy had the same issue, I'd start at 7/10 meters and work with him on trigger travel' s control by trying to clover on a small black marking sticker on a white sheet of paper. Once achieved, I'd, only then, move gradually to longer distances.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

I dont really like the glock triger pull but cant change it as its not mine
I shoot a CZ75 steel framed compact and do ok (again its not mine )but have shot a tricked up cz and its lovely
so looks like a safe in Czech will have a lightly tricked up CZ 75 with my name on it next year .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

I found an awfully big difference in shot grouping when i locked out my support wrist, you sort of place it on the gun hand already twisted foward, seems to tighten up my groups.
also found that holding the trigger in after firing, then letting out to the reset and then squeezing again, also make a huge difference. suggested this to another shooter and it substantially improved his grouping too. seems like if you pull and immediately release the trigger you shake the gun?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Zilberbak

#9 Post by Zilberbak »

It has just occurred to me that there was a big difference this year as they had introduced a shoot 5 then pick up brass rule which interrupted a ten round session. I think the anticipation thing might be relevant as well.

Thanks for your replies and as always it comes down knowing the gun and practise, a 12 month break between each session doesn't lend itself to either of those.
Zilberbak

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#10 Post by Dellboy »

Zilberbak wrote:It has just occurred to me that there was a big difference this year as they had introduced a shoot 5 then pick up brass rule which interrupted a ten round session. I think the anticipation thing might be relevant as well.

Thanks for your replies and as always it comes down knowing the gun and practise, a 12 month break between each session doesn't lend itself to either of those.
try getting a bb or pellet gun to match the one your shooting there
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.