Fab defense mount k22

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Grifff
Home club or Range: 8th Warwickshire Rifle Club

Fab defense mount k22

#1 Post by Grifff »

Hi just wondering if anybody has fitted one of these to a k22. I've tried but it squeezes the polymer frame together. Smoothed the inside of the frame down and removed a bit of material but still drags on the slide.

Am I flogging a dead horse or do I just need to remove more material off frame or rail.

Cheers Grifff
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: Fab defense mount k22

#2 Post by shugie »

I gave up and got the plate that replaces the rear sight with a red dot.
Careful now/that sort of thing
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#3 Post by DavidRees »

It took quite a bit of filing of the grooves on the frame of my K22 to get it fitted. It might have been better to file the insides of the Fab mount instead, to avoid marking the gun overmuch. The results are not too unsightly, but still...
Grifff
Home club or Range: 8th Warwickshire Rifle Club

#4 Post by Grifff »

Thanks I'll have a go at the mount.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Am I reading this right, you blokes have removed material from the frames of your pistols in order to get a cheap scope mount to fit?!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

The scope mount is a decent one but yeah, surely removing material from the mount is the preferred way!

It’s just much harder.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#7 Post by Zilberbak »

I filed the mount down because of not wishing to damage the pistol. I read somewhere at the time that you could warm the polymer rail on the pistol and then mould the rail to the mount but sounded just as potentially damaging. The benefit of the FabDefense mount is that you can still use the fibre sights without removing the mount.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#8 Post by DavidRees »

Sim G wrote:Am I reading this right, you blokes have removed material from the frames of your pistols in order to get a cheap scope mount to fit?!!!
Yes, that's what I did. The issue of whether the mount was cheap or not never arose -- at the time, several years ago, it was the only game in town, esp. since I wanted to be able to retain the original rear sights.

A gun is a tool; if it needs modifying in order to enter competitions, or to suit me better, I'll do it. I come from the times when one bought expensive UIT pistols, then started filing away at the grips, etc., to get it to fit. The aesthetic is irelevant; it's the medals that matter...
PrecisionGunnerUK
Home club or Range: Wakefield Rifle and Pistol Club, North Cotes Butts, Warwickshire Armourers Rifle Club

#9 Post by PrecisionGunnerUK »

^^^ what he said

I had the same experience with my k22, plus it made the pistol a bit top-heavy.
Replaced the rear sights with a home made adapter to mount a mini red-dot and have to say, handling and scores improved immediately. You can buy pre-made adapters these days.
I love shooting, me ;-)
Correct grammer is so important
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

DavidRees wrote: I come from the times when one bought expensive UIT pistols, then started filing away at the grips, etc., to get it to fit. The aesthetic is irelevant; it's the medals that matter...

And I come from a time when we didn’t go to the pistol with a file to get an accessory to fit! Grips are one thing, but the frame? Wrong way round...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!