Importing obsolete calibres under section 58(2)

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

turnaround

Importing obsolete calibres under section 58(2)

#1 Post by turnaround »

I've been looking at this rather closely - non-antique revolvers which meet the obsolete calibre requirements of section 58(2) and which are included on the Home Office's obsolete calibre list (for example, the Colt Army Special in .41 LC), it isn't clear whether you are able to do an individual import, and what the steps are in the U.S. where one is most likely to find one.

These revolvers were made into the 1920s and thus the U.S. still subjects them to export control, whereas (apparently) we don't. Rather strange that the U.S. controls this narrow band of firearms more stringently than us as far as transfer, isn't it?

Are there any RFDs who handle imports of this type, or can I get an HMRC permit and handle myself using the SIL system? I believe I've found a US FFL who will facilitate the exports.

Look forward to replies.

Best,

TA
turnaround

Re: Importing obsolete calibres under section 58(2)

#2 Post by turnaround »

To the gentleman who has PM'd me - owing to my low post count, I'm unable to answer you via PM.

To respond further to the above, I've definitely found a U.S. dealer who specifically handles U.S. non-antiques and is sympathetic as far as the rigours of exporting to the U.K. for items which fall within s 58(2) and have corresponded with him further. He happens to already export a number of these to a particular RFD under an OIL. I haven't yet been able to get a straight answer on whether or not this can be done via SIL but will apply myself to it in the coming month or so.

Truth be told, I'm also waiting to see what comes of the most recent consultation, because should the date range change for what is and is not obsolete, I won't be in a position to go ahead.