GSG 1911 red dot

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Ben Denise

GSG 1911 red dot

#1 Post by Ben Denise »

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a Vortex red dot and slide mount for my GSG. Before fitting them I wanted to check if there was anything I needed to be aware of before doing so?

The reason I ask is that I've heard it's sometime necessary to shim the mount to get enough elevation. If this is the case, does the shim go at the front of the mount or the rear?? I'm also assuming it would go between the mount and the red not rather than the mount and the slide??

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,

B
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

Re: GSG 1911 red dot

#2 Post by Nelly2014 »

Ben Denise wrote:Hi guys,

I've recently bought a Vortex red dot and slide mount for my GSG. Before fitting them I wanted to check if there was anything I needed to be aware of before doing so?

The reason I ask is that I've heard it's sometime necessary to shim the mount to get enough elevation. If this is the case, does the shim go at the front of the mount or the rear?? I'm also assuming it would go between the mount and the red not rather than the mount and the slide??

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,

B
I shimmed front of mount between sight and base. Only needed a sliver.
Ben Denise

#3 Post by Ben Denise »

Thanks for that. :)

However, having shot it tonight and with the elevation all the way up I was hitting around 2.5 inches lower than the point of aim. Am I right in thinking I need to shim the rear rather than the front?

Cheers,

B
majordisorder

#4 Post by majordisorder »

Which slide mount have you got? I've used both types and never had to shim either of them with any of the red dots I've used (Vortex Razor, Viper, Venom, Shield SMS, RMS, Delta Optical, Vector Optics).
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
Ben Denise

#5 Post by Ben Denise »

It's the GSG 1911 - Red Dot Pistol Mount - Vortex Venom / Viper / Other from Black Rifle.