Iron sights for Buckmark

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

Iron sights for Buckmark

#1 Post by jack1 »

HI
Has anyone managed to obtain and fit an iron sight configuration front and rear for a Buckmark LBP,
I have tried the 'FIresight' on the Westlake rail and the whole thing is pants. Maybe good for action shooting and OK with a red dot for PP1 but for off hand they are useless with no reliability regarding adjustment........ please Any ideas
Thanks
Jack bangbang
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Iron sights for Buckmark

#2 Post by 1066 »

I can't help you with your Buckmark problem but I do agree, there seems to be very few options if you're looking for precision type target shooting rather than an American two handed/scoped version. They have a high sightline to start with and plonking all sorts of stuff on top really doesn't help.

The old Browning target pistols were very well made, accurate and reliable pistols, however they (and others from USA) were never seen at the top level of international shooting, mainly, I believe because of their high sightline compared with the european match pistols such as Walther, Pardini, Britarms etc. Hammerli were also slow to adopt the low sightline in their semi-auto match pistols and lost a lot ground when trying to catch up.

Browning Match 150 with Bowler grips.

Britarms 2000

My current muzzle loading pistol (.32 Patriot)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

#3 Post by jack1 »

1066 wrote:I can't help you with your Buckmark problem but I do agree, there seems to be very few options if you're looking for precision type target shooting rather than an American two handed/scoped version. They have a high sightline to start with and plonking all sorts of stuff on top really doesn't help.

The old Browning target pistols were very well made, accurate and reliable pistols, however they (and others from USA) were never seen at the top level of international shooting, mainly, I believe because of their high sightline compared with the european match pistols such as Walther, Pardini, Britarms etc. Hammerli were also slow to adopt the low sightline in their semi-auto match pistols and lost a lot ground when trying to catch up.

Browning Match 150 with Bowler grips.

Britarms 2000

My current muzzle loading pistol (.32 Patriot)
Thank you but I do not know if you are offering agreement or a solution
Jck
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

I once saw a Buckmark LBR with and Aristocrat sight rib fitted. Seemed the perfect solution to turn the BM into a useable iron sight configuration. I don’t know how he got the rib, how much it cost or who did the work, but it’s a start...

http://www.aristocratproducts.com/page1.html
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by 1066 »

jack1 wrote:
1066 wrote:I can't help you with your Buckmark problem but I do agree, there seems to be very few options if you're looking for precision type target shooting rather than an American two handed/scoped version. They have a high sightline to start with and plonking all sorts of stuff on top really doesn't help.

Thank you but I do not know if you are offering agreement or a solution
Jck
I'm sorry, no easy solution, really just saying that the aim is to keep the sighline low. I'm sure Alan Westlake could do the job for you, he knows about precision target pistols, Buckmarks and probably still has half a bucket full on Britarms rear sights. The Buckmark has the same frame size as the earlier Browning pistols so maybe an old browning sight will fit?

Something similar to the rail Sim has linked to would be a solution although would add extra height but I think you would have difficulty getting them to send one and finding someone to fit it.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com