Pistol of Interest for 7.3 Collectors

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

ordnance

Re: Pistol of Interest for 7.3 Collectors

#11 Post by ordnance »

£15,000 to own a gun you can't even keep at home, a bit like buying a Ferrari that you have to store at a track and can only use it supervised at the track.
AL8

#12 Post by AL8 »

true, but that is the only way people can own them in mainland Britain.
Notice I said mainland
ordnance

#13 Post by ordnance »

AL8 wrote:true, but that is the only way people can own them in mainland Britain.
Notice I said mainland
Would anyone pay that money to own a gun with the conditions that are placed on them, maybe a Glock at £300.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

There’s nothing to say it would remain in the UK...

Pythons are VERY collectible in the states. A good example will see a price tags of 2-$3K in the US. Specials, unfired and rare will see figures North of $5K. There a couple of 3” Pythons on gunbroker for $14K but the UK/Europe market is not the US market.

Arab or Russian Oligarch may be the only “UK based” investor of such an item. But, with interest rates low and stock markets slow an volatile, guns are just another commodity being traded in parts of the world where you can.

Always love the Python though....!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by bnz41 »

For the Section 7.3 collectors NDH has listed some Colt 1911's Colt revolvers and Smith & Wesson revolvers.

http://www.ndh-firearms.com/firearms/ca ... 12-pistols
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

that's interesting... says the steyr mod GB was used in 'pistol trials' is that the MOD trials the others were used in? I've never heard anyone mention that the GB was in that trial

it's a shame, I still want to see the actual trial report
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

There were some trials in the middle 80s I believe. The result being the MkIII Browning. I believe my unit was the first to receive them. There were issues with the first ones and dodgy sears that weren’t hard enough. Resulted in the hammer following the slide when racked. I saw it happen to my mate.

I don’t think it would have been in the recent trial that selected the pistol whose infrastructure and price pushed it past the post… others were preferred.

The GB has long been out of production. Saw one in a Gunshop once. They were massive!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#18 Post by bradaz11 »

I did think it strange, unless they have got their steyr GB and M9A1 mixed up of course!

I'd like one, for my odd delay system collection, but not at that price.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#19 Post by Daryll »

Sim G wrote:There were some trials in the middle 80s I believe. The result being the MkIII Browning. I believe my unit was the first to receive them. There were issues with the first ones and dodgy sears that weren’t hard enough. Resulted in the hammer following the slide when racked. I saw it happen to my mate.

Back in the day when I was in the RAF Pistol Club, I bought myself a MkIII Browning, and had a trigger job done on it by Alan Weslake, the "go-to" person for Browning trigger jobs at the time....(I seem to remember he was an ex Army Pistol Champion??).

When I turned up at the RAFPC with it, one of the guys (who thought he was the RAF version of Alan Weslake) said that the Weslake trigger jobs were crap, and picked up my pistol, put the safety on, squeezed the trigger as hard as he could, then bashed the back of the hammer on the bench... after a few hefty blows the hammer went into half-cock and he said, "there, thats what happens with a poor trigger job.."!!!

I nearly pistol-whipped him with it...!
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by bnz41 »

Another dealer highwoodclassicarms.co.uk has posted he has section 7.3 pistols for sale for those who collect historical pistols. He has 2 High Powers available.