New member intro and question

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Steve12345

Re: New member intro and question

#31 Post by Steve12345 »

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone is still following this but thought I would post an update anyway. Firstly apologies for anyone PM's that I haven't replied too - I can't as haven't made enough posts to use the reply feature.

The Colt was indeed a commercial model as suggested on the thread, and one of 100 shipped to Canada in Sep 1914 - I had a look through the pictures I do have and was unable to find any British proof marks, I assumed maybe they just weren't visible in the few pictures I had, but this explains why.

Will probably never know for definite how it ended up in London but my mum had confirmed my great Grandfather spend time in Canada after WW1 before returning to London, so I would say that's probably the answer...

Still with police who have confirmed it is a viable weapon and will hopefully be done with is soon fingers crossed!

Steve
Christel
Site Admin

#32 Post by Christel »

Steve12345,

You are on 13 posts now...not long to go before you can access PMs.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#33 Post by bnz41 »

Hello Steve,

Just a point its not a viable Weapon It's a Viable Firearm.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Steve12345

#34 Post by Steve12345 »

bnz41 wrote:Hello Steve,

Thanks for correcting me, been trying so hard not to use that term but it still slips in!

Something I was wondering this morning, if it was to be kept as is and not deactivated, so as a section 7.3, does it need British proof markings on it? It has the VP stamped on it which I believe was the Colt marking to show "verified proof". I assume there must be lots of older heritage firearms without British proof markings?

Cheers
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#35 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Steve,

In reply to your question ref British proof marks, I can only go by the pistols I have bought, some do have older British Proof marks some have German Proof marks. Dealer had said if its not proofed then it needs to be, and if you pay a little extra they will hide them under the grips for example. One Hi Power that was sent to proof I had paid the extra but guess what,,, visible and stood out like a saw thumb modern proof marks done at London. Dealer refunded the extra money back.
Steve12345

#36 Post by Steve12345 »

bnz41 wrote:Hi Steve,

In reply to your question ref British proof marks, I can only go by the pistols I have bought, some do have older British Proof marks some have German Proof marks. Dealer had said if its not proofed then it needs to be, and if you pay a little extra they will hide them under the grips for example. One Hi Power that was sent to proof I had paid the extra but guess what,,, visible and stood out like a saw thumb modern proof marks done at London. Dealer refunded the extra money back.
Thanks, appreciate the info. If it does come to that I will make sure I get it hidden if possible!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#37 Post by bradaz11 »

Steve12345 wrote:
bnz41 wrote:Hello Steve,

Thanks for correcting me, been trying so hard not to use that term but it still slips in!

Something I was wondering this morning, if it was to be kept as is and not deactivated, so as a section 7.3, does it need British proof markings on it? It has the VP stamped on it which I believe was the Colt marking to show "verified proof". I assume there must be lots of older heritage firearms without British proof markings?

Cheers
you need proof to sell a firearm. I believe in this case, it would not need proof unless you were transferring it to someone else.
you don't need proof to be able to shoot it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
AL8

#38 Post by AL8 »

You can get it proofed but not marked, instead you get a certificate
Steve12345

#39 Post by Steve12345 »

Thanks gents, sounds like hopefully it won't need to be proofed. I found these at my Grandads today, must have kept them for the 1911.
Attachments
Image3.jpeg
Image2.jpeg
Image1.jpeg