Can I add a stock of some kind to a Buckmark LBP?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Ludders
Home club or Range: Marlow RPC

Can I add a stock of some kind to a Buckmark LBP?

#1 Post by Ludders »

I have a Buckmark LBP which I think has the heavier barrel. I shoot black powder pistols mainly. But do not enjoy the Buckmark The sights are three green dots which I find difficult and the pistol does not balance. Having read a topic on a forum here, can I add a stock/surround onto the coat hanger on my Buckmark making a stock without making the gun illegal? I had not owned a LBP before and did not appreciate how much I would not enjoy shooting it. I shoot single handed with my BP pistols but do not enjoy doing so with the LBP.

So a piece of wood that clamps over and can be removed from the rear coat hanger without changing the integrity of that part?

Many thanks
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

Re: Can I add a stock of some kind to a Buckmark LBP?

#2 Post by poll007 »

I have considered making a stock for my LBP.

In theory as long as you maintain the legal barrel and overall length you should be fine. (if you were to add a stock i would keep the coat hanger and make a clamp on stock of some sort)

the only main difference with LBPs in law seems to be that you cant let someone else shoot it without it being on their licence (much like section 1 shotguns). so as long as you still dont let others use it i doubt the local FAO will mind.

however as always-if in doubt the best people to ask are your local police department to get written confirmation.

tangential point-there doesn't appear to be a legal definition that defines an LBP differently to a rifle and there are people who own LBPs listed as rifles from before they got their own extra laws-so at what point does a rifle become an LBP or vice versa? (eg-if i take a Ruger 10/22 but replace the stock with a ruger charger stock with coat hanger is it now an LBP?)
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

As long as the coat hanger stays on then going LBP to rifle is unlikely to cause you any problems IMO.

Its when people want to go the other way and get frisky with the hacksaw that they end up in court with several thousand £'s worth of fees to pay :run:
DVC
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#4 Post by poll007 »

Blackstuff wrote:Its when people want to go the other way and get frisky with the hacksaw that they end up in court with several thousand £'s worth of fees to pay :run:
Has there been an example of this happening already then?
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Not strictly that scenario but to my understanding a person wanted to have a Buckmark which was originally an LBP with the option to add a stock (but it still be removable) used as a club gun i.e. a 'rifle' which would allow it to be used by anyone at the club. AFAIK they actually won the case but it cost them a fair whack in legal fees.

Its just a minefield of an area thats totally unnecessary. All they have to do is switch the words 'rifle and muzzle loading pistol' in the legisaltion to 'firearm' and this whole nonsense about LBP/LBR's and S1 shotguns would go away, but TPTB seem happy to have things as complicated as possible (including for their own purposes kukkuk )
DVC
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

Blackstuff wrote:Not strictly that scenario but to my understanding a person wanted to have a Buckmark which was originally an LBP with the option to add a stock (but it still be removable) used as a club gun i.e. a 'rifle' which would allow it to be used by anyone at the club. AFAIK they actually won the case but it cost them a fair whack in legal fees.

Its just a minefield of an area thats totally unnecessary. All they have to do is switch the words 'rifle and muzzle loading pistol' in the legisaltion to 'firearm' and this whole nonsense about LBP/LBR's and S1 shotguns would go away, but TPTB seem happy to have things as complicated as possible (including for their own purposes kukkuk )
I'm not sure if the outcome of that particular case could be considered a win?
From what I recall of it we were all watching hoping for a resolution or some clarity from this "test" case and all that was achieved was a fudged judgement that cleared up nothing. I don't even think that it could be regarded as setting a legal precedent as wasn't comment made that the judgement only applied to that particular case? All that money spent and we are really no clearer now than before the court case.

With regard to removal or adding a stock piece to a LBR/LBP. I purchased an Alpha Proj LBR some years ago. This only varied from the carbine version in that the wooden element had been unscrewed from the frame extension bar. Even the screw holes were still there. It would have been simply a matter of screwing the stock back on to the bar to "convert" it back from a LBR to a rifle (all being a short barreled one). Just think how daft that is.
It could be shot and shared with other club members if had the wooden butt stock in place but once removed it then became a LBR and only I could shoot it.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

I was referring to them 'winning' in the sense that they didn't go to prison! Which I think was their main concern rather than establishing a law precedence for non rifle/ML pistols!
DVC