Ported barrel long barrel pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Ported barrel long barrel pistol

#11 Post by daman »

I have the K22 Whisper and as supplied (ported barrel and a can with no baffles) it's not much quieter than my M&P15-22. On the advice of a forum member, I once filled the back of the can with some steel wool - significantly better noise reduction, until the wool shifted forward near to ports and got very, very hot :-)
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#12 Post by poll007 »

daman wrote:I have the K22 Whisper and as supplied (ported barrel and a can with no baffles) it's not much quieter than my M&P15-22. On the advice of a forum member, I once filled the back of the can with some steel wool - significantly better noise reduction, until the wool shifted forward near to ports and got very, very hot :-)
3D printing a baffle stack could be a solution for this-at the very least provide a good way to keep the steel wool in place. If i ever get good access to a milling machine i hope to try porting my gsg and print a baffle system(obviously in such a way so I'm staying the right side of the law)-as i mostly shoot on a small indoor range any amount of sound reduction is always appreciated.
SeaMonkey

#13 Post by SeaMonkey »

The earlier K22 whispers (prior to the Mark 12 X-Trim which I have) used to have a baffle system in them. From memory, it comprised of another tube and baffle set which slid inside the outer sleeve and was spring loaded in some form or other. If you search on google images you might find it. I can't remember which forum I saw it on now.
I was all for making one myself after the disappointment of the sound level on mine but the guy who had it was claiming that IT didn't work too well either which is probably why they discontinued the process.
Scott at Caledonian Classic Arms might have some photos or Oto at Cotswold Arms could shed some light too, purely for anyone that finds it interesting.
Again, hope this helps.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#14 Post by daman »

poll007 wrote:
daman wrote:I have the K22 Whisper and as supplied (ported barrel and a can with no baffles) it's not much quieter than my M&P15-22. On the advice of a forum member, I once filled the back of the can with some steel wool - significantly better noise reduction, until the wool shifted forward near to ports and got very, very hot :-)
3D printing a baffle stack could be a solution for this.
That's quite an interesting idea. Would the plastics that you can 3d print with be able to survive the peak temperatures though? I've been looking for an excuse to get into 3d printing and this could be it :-)
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#15 Post by poll007 »

daman wrote:
poll007 wrote:
3D printing a baffle stack could be a solution for this.
That's quite an interesting idea. Would the plastics that you can 3d print with be able to survive the peak temperatures though? I've been looking for an excuse to get into 3d printing and this could be it :-)
depends what material you use PLA and ABS are the most common and have a deformation temperature around 70 degrees-something like PETG or nylon is about 100 degrees.-thats the deformation temperature though-the melting point for PLA is still 170 degrees so I suppose it depends how quick your shooting. I've seen (on the internet) PLA baffle stacks used on a .223 semi auto that after 150 rounds of continuous fire would need replacing-but if were talking .22lr it would probably work fine.