Novelist Seeking Gun Assistance

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Novelist Seeking Gun Assistance

#31 Post by Sim G »

We had a "function test" after strip and clean of out Hi-Powers back in the 80s and 90s.

General look over to make sure it appears as it should.
With an empty magazine, insert it into the pistol making sure magazine catch locked the mag in place.
Grasp the slide, pull it rearwards, lock slide open.
Drop the magazine.
Release the slide, by hitting the slide stop and then rack the slide three times ensuring hammer remained cocked and slide ran forward under recoil spring power.
Re-insert magazine.
With both thumbs, try and push the hammer forward.
Apply safety catch and squeeze trigger.
Take safety catch off, squeeze trigger again.

Anything not work as it should, U/S and get replacement.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#32 Post by bradaz11 »

Union St wrote:Well, thank you all so much for the very good comments. I can dismiss the Glock, right? I'm thinking that my hero could be offered a small selection of, say, four guns and choses the FN based on its apparent condition. He has to dismiss the Browning because he is suspicious of the condition. I very much like the look of the Walther, but as you say, it cannot be used in literature ever again. Is there any way he can 'test' the condition and function of the gun without actually firing it?
you could dry fire it, rack it, pull the trigger to feel how it acts / how light it is. He could fire it if say he met in someones house with a basement etc, you could fire into a bullettrap, basically an oil drum full of sand, or sometimes water, or this guy could even have a full on soundproofed cellar range.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#33 Post by daman »

bradaz11 wrote:He could fire it if say he met in someones house with a basement etc, you could fire into a bullettrap, basically an oil drum full of sand, or sometimes water, or this guy could even have a full on soundproofed cellar range.
Don't forget some ear protection if you put the protagonist in a basement or their ears will be ringing for a bit :-)
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#34 Post by strangesam »

bradaz11 wrote:Don't forget some ear protection if you put the protagonist in a basement or their ears will be ringing for a bit :-)
The noise of firearms is grossly underrepresented,

Fire a pistol indoors without hearing protection, you will know about it, and quite possibly have permanent hearing damage. Immediately it will hurt.
Chapuis

#35 Post by Chapuis »

strangesam wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:Don't forget some ear protection if you put the protagonist in a basement or their ears will be ringing for a bit :-)
The noise of firearms is grossly underrepresented,

Fire a pistol indoors without hearing protection, you will know about it, and quite possibly have permanent hearing damage. Immediately it will hurt.
Long ago a chap who used to manage a pub told me that he had test fired a .357 revolver in the pub cellar by firing it into a bucket of water. He must have seen the obvious look on my face because he said "It's O.K. I did it safely, I wore ear defenders. It did however crack some tiles under the bucket".
Union St

#36 Post by Union St »

Thank you gentlemen for more excellent responses. I have realized today that I am so illiterate on this subject that I will have to view some YouTube videos to obtain a better understanding of the fundamentals. Once I have accomplished that, if I may, I will return with some more prescient questions. Again, thank you. Stay safe everyone.
strangesam

#37 Post by strangesam »

I recommend, Bloke on the Range (Esp see Garand Ping, has many pistols of the era), Forgotten Weapons (probably has the pistols you want), Paul Harrell and InRangeTV ass a starting point.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#38 Post by bradaz11 »

strangesam wrote:I recommend, Bloke on the Range (Esp see Garand Ping, has many pistols of the era), Forgotten Weapons (probably has the pistols you want), Paul Harrell and InRangeTV ass a starting point.
my subscription list lol. also throw in demolition ranch if you want to see some weirder stuff you can do, and capabilities of certain common calibers against 'stuff'.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
strangesam

#39 Post by strangesam »

bradaz11 wrote:
my subscription list lol. also throw in demolition ranch if you want to see some weirder stuff you can do, and capabilities of certain common calibers against 'stuff'.
I also watch Demolition ranch, but left him off, as firstly I find him a bit too 'showbiz american', second he doesn't really cover the technical stuff, and thirdly, while I'm sure he is working safely, it often doesn't look like it (he's not specific about the safety like the others on the list). Also thinking about it, he doesn't really cover old firearms either much. Or at least not the kind we're looking at here.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#40 Post by 1066 »

Union St wrote:Good morning everyone. I'm just beginning my third book, a novel, and the protagonist requires a Belgium handgun in 1962.
Well, it turns out the Belgians make a lot of guns, which I was unaware.
I was thinking of using the FN Model 1910. I also need it to jam upon firing.
Do you think this gun would be reasonably available in 1962, and is there any chance of it jamming?

Any assistance gratefully acknowledged.
Thank you.
I'm sure we all wish you every success with your new novel, I know it's a bit cheeky, but what about eventually sending in a signed copy to the forum to be reviewed/raffled off in some way.

Just a thought.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com