Novelist Seeking Gun Assistance

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Union St

Re: Novelist Seeking Gun Assistance

#51 Post by Union St »

Good morning, thank you very much for the comments. Goodness, you guys are delving deep into the weeds and leaving me behind a little bit. I've been studying YouTube videos and I think the FN 1910 is my choice (with the .32 acp). The man has flown to Belgium without taking a gun and is presented with the choice of, say, four weapons and chooses the 1910, for some reason. It's a nice small, 'handy' gun, feels comfortable and is easily concealable. I saw one guy shoot a magazine and one jammed, but he pulled the slide and it started again. It maybe that I don't even have to explain the cause of the malfunction because, as many have said, there are numerous possible reasons. The point is, the gun doesn't fire and my man is in a confined space with his target. Story continues. You can see the malfunction near the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfIUaMVIhks
I read also that the magazine spring when containing five or more rounds causes the bullets to rotate slightly downward. Anyway, as you say, there are a number of reasons these guns might fail.
walesdave

#52 Post by walesdave »

Union St wrote:Question: if anyone is old enough, do you know how the legal situation was in 1962 in the UK? Could people own handguns? Did they require a license?
Not sure if it helps but by the 1960's a firearm couldn't be held for self-defence effectively meaning anyone with a pistol licence had to hold it for target shooting.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#53 Post by dromia »

I suspect if anyone wanted a gun for naughty purposes then they wouldn't want a "legal" one.

I don't think you would get very far putting "contract killing" down as your reason to possess on your FAC application.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#54 Post by Sim G »

walesdave wrote:
Union St wrote:Question: if anyone is old enough, do you know how the legal situation was in 1962 in the UK? Could people own handguns? Did they require a license?
Not sure if it helps but by the 1960's a firearm couldn't be held for self-defence effectively meaning anyone with a pistol licence had to hold it for target shooting.

Yes they could. It was the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 that prevented weapons being carried in public for defence, but not until 1968 that self defence was no longer “good reason” to possess firearms for defence at home.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Union St

#55 Post by Union St »

Oh, these are very good answers. Excuse my ignorance, but where would one buy a gun. Did they ever have gunshops, like the US?
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#56 Post by BooBoo »

Sim G wrote:
walesdave wrote:

Yes they could. It was the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 that prevented weapons being carried in public for defence, but not until 1968 that self defence was no longer “good reason” to possess firearms for defence at home.

Unless of course you live in NI, where it is still a perfecly good reason...
Sim G
Past Supporter

#57 Post by Sim G »

Union St wrote:Oh, these are very good answers. Excuse my ignorance, but where would one buy a gun. Did they ever have gunshops, like the US?
Yes, of course. Just like we have Gunshop’s today. The numbers have certainly dwindled, for a number of reasons, not just drip, drip of increased legislation.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#58 Post by Sim G »

BooBoo wrote:
Unless of course you live in NI, where it is still a perfecly good reason...

Still a very strict set of parameters for PPWs. But yes, available.

Site Supporter Since 2015

#59 Post by 1066 »

Union St wrote:Oh, these are very good answers. Excuse my ignorance, but where would one buy a gun. Did they ever have gunshops, like the US?
This is a single page from a regular shooting magazine "Guns Review" dated 1988. F. A. Anderson was a typical gunshop of the time, they had two shops in Brighton and one in East Grinstead. Just the East Grinstead one left now I believe.
Here you could have bought anything from a 2" barrel Rossi to a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum S&W.

In the Richard Milner add there's 7.65mm Mauser M1914 pocket pistol for £100 along with plenty of others.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
MistAgain

#60 Post by MistAgain »

I believe I have some copies of Guns Review from 1962 & 1963.