SLP instead of a revolver for humance dispatch

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

tonyshooter
Home club or Range: Warmsworth nr Doncaster

SLP instead of a revolver for humance dispatch

#1 Post by tonyshooter »

Has anyone on here ever justified a self loading pistol in stead of the " recommended " revolver, that most forces sepcify for the humane killing of animals ?
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: SLP instead of a revolver for humance dispatch

#2 Post by Sim G »

Yes I did. A very specific set of circumstances that in the end required a four page rationale and a lengthy discussion with my FEO. Once he was on board the Firearms Dept manager decided he didn’t like it, so then the argument became a point of principal. Once I was granted the authority, it was a monstrous job finding something suitable!

I then complicated things further when I eventually got a pistol, being a “gun guy” and a Brownells Black Friday sale had me spend $400 dollars on custom parts!!! lol lol lol

Well that then attracted the attention of UKBF when the parts came in, which resulted in another “chat without pleasantries” with the dept again….

The thing is, the Home Office and the police are very squiffy about s3 exemption. They are really squiffy about semi auto pistols due to the unrestricted availability of spare magazines. Personally, it wasn’t worth the drama. Yes, my circumstances remain the same as does my good reason. However, once it was all over, the Bond Arms derringer became available in the U.K. I’d have rather gone with one of them.

(But I do have a rather good, W. German manufactured Sig P228, and a shed load of “go faster” bits on it!!!) :D :D :D
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I know of one used locally in my county because we supply him with his ammunition. The person is every bit as important as the reason and some people simply will not be granted one regardless of what happens. I use a folding .410 with silenced barrel which although more cumbersome in some situations is very difficult for a licencing department to argue against.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

my local firearms manager! lol.
plenty of ways to go about it as I understand, one gunsmith I know said he supplied someone a 357sig glock for humane dispatch, awkward mags to get, and hard to get ammo was one of the reasons for the gun choice it seems.

has the 2 shot thing actually been written into law yet? or is it still the made up self imposed restriction by licensing officials?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Yep, made up and still referred to. Unfortunately I believe it was the suggestion of BASC…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Laurie

#6 Post by Laurie »

Sim G wrote:Yep, made up and still referred to. Unfortunately I believe it was the suggestion of BASC…
I don't believe so. This and calibre advice that were provided to the Lords Committee scrutinising the passed Bill and providing much of the nitty-gritty detail came from the slaughtermen's body.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Just had a squint at my material and it was the Humane Slaughter Association. The BASC publication on Handguns for Humane Dispatch references this hence my confusion.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

how do you even get into humane dispatch?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am a member of the Lincolnshire Deer Group. The LDG has a road accident section that deals with calls to despatch animals from both the police and the RSPCA. For my end of things I just get a call asking if I can get to a location and I am told what needs to be done at the other end. Membership of the LDG is my invitation and we cover the complete county. I went on a course on how to deal with humane despatch by the roadside, so animal welfare, the general public and the legal side of things plus much more was covered.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal